DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recommendation for book on audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521166-recommendation-book-audio.html)

Vincent Oliver January 21st, 2014 01:29 AM

Recommendation for book on audio

I am looking for a good book on audio technique, a book that covers most aspects from microphone choice to editing techniques etc. Can anyone recommend a good book?

Thank you

Tim Lewis January 21st, 2014 01:46 AM

Re: Recommendation for book on audio

Try this one:

Ty Ford?s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Vincent Oliver January 21st, 2014 01:50 AM

Thanks Tim

Seth Bloombaum January 21st, 2014 02:03 AM

Jay Rose has two or three books out that are very valuable references.

"Sound for Digital Video, 2nd Edition." by Holman & Baum has a good balance of theory and operational practices and is my current favorite among textbooks.

Vincent Oliver January 21st, 2014 02:37 AM

Thanks the "Sound for Digital Video" book looks interesting

Derek Heeps January 21st, 2014 02:46 AM

An old standard is "The Use of Microphones" by Alec Nisbett . Alec was a senior BBC engineer .

My copy is at least 30 years old , but everything in it holds true today .

Vincent Oliver January 21st, 2014 02:55 AM

Thanks Derek, , an expensive book at £76

Derek Heeps January 21st, 2014 03:22 AM

Ouch !

I certainly never paid anything like that for mine . The library might be a good option then .

A good read nonetheless .

Greg Miller January 21st, 2014 08:26 AM

I just bought a used copy of the Nisbett book for $5.54 USD on eBay. Haven't heard of it before, but can't go wrong for the price.

I second the recommendation of Jay Rose's books, especially Audio Postproduction for Digital Video.

Of course the Audio Cyclopedia contains a wealth of information, but it's quite dated now... useful for an historical look at phono disc recording, optical sound on film, etc.

Also an excellent historical look at mics, speakers, and acoustics is anything written by Harry Olson, who was the leading designer for RCA back in the day (their well-known ribbon mics, etc.). It's amazing how many things that were expounded by Olson, and were subsequently forgotten, are being re-discovered recently.

Brian David Melnyk January 21st, 2014 08:32 AM

Behind the Glass (1 and 2), Howard Massey.
They are music specific, but great information from the top producers/engineers in the field.

Rick Reineke January 21st, 2014 09:57 AM

For a lot of technical info; The Microphone Handbook (Eargle) and The Recording Studio Handbook (Woram)

Steve House January 21st, 2014 11:54 AM

Also check out "Sound for Digital Video" and "Sound for Film and Television," both by Tomlinson Holman. Holman is the 'TH' in "THX" so he may know a thing or two about sound :)

Vincent Oliver January 21st, 2014 12:07 PM

Thank you for the information, I am looking up reviews for all the suggested titles.

Derek Heeps January 21st, 2014 02:38 PM

Just remembered another Alec Nisbett title - 'The technique of the sound studio' .

However if 'The use of microphones' is now £75 , I dread to think how much this much larger volume will be .....

Peter Riding January 21st, 2014 04:19 PM

It appears to be much cheaper on amazon DOT com than on amazon DOT co.uk

I have been able to buy a book on the .com site even though I am in the .co.uk region. You could try it - it may well work OK. I signed into the .com site with my normal credentials - I didn't have to do anything sneaky or open another account. The book I bought was the Panasonic AC90 guide by Barry Green.

Pete