Sennheiser G3 teardonwn video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Sennheiser G3 teardonwn video

A goofy Aussie named Dave Jones runs a popular blog and YouTube video channel on the topic of electronics. A popular feature are "teardown" videos where he dissects gear on-camera to see how it was built, and deduce what the design tradeoffs were.

In a recent video, he "tears-down" his own G3 kit (and presumably re-assembles it after making the video). As he is not really a production professional, his perception is that the G3 is "top of the line" (as is the perception of most of his non-media followers). However the design and construction of the G3 is impressive. I suspect that the build-quality of Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, et.al. are only incrementally better than this G3, which is as "mass-market" as it gets for pro-sumer gear like this.

Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser G3 teardonwn video

Hi Richard - so where do you dig these sites up? What is it, foggy and cold down there in Portland?

Taking things apart to see how they work is something some people like to do more than others. I'd be a little hesitant, though, doing it on a brand new and expensive piece of gear. Generally wait until it breaks and when there is nothing to loose to do it. Currently I've got several "projects in waiting" to get fixed.

Right near the end he mentions "built like a brick dunney (sp?) - is that anything like an out house?

It would have been very interesting to learn how one can deal with corrosion in the battery compartment. Often, when things aren't used much and batteries are left inside, they will leak and cause corrosion on the terminals so knowing how this could be corrected would be good to know.

Thanks for sharing and I'll see if he has any other videos of interest.

By the way, I've been looking for a wireless lavalier for my kit and the Sennheiser is the one I've been using for my main comparison so if anyone has a suggestion of (a) which model to get (there are several models and I haven't figured out which one to spring for - the ENG one?), or, (b), bang for the buck, what one should consider that would be better.

Again, thanks for the link.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Built like a brick "dunny" means the job has been done properly, dunny = out house
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've had four G2s apart to install replacement antennas. I assume the 'innards' are very similar. The G3s use a larger Torx drive head than the G2. (which I recall is T-6) I 've always pulled things apart since I was a little and got .bit.. a few times for sure. For your amusement: when I was about 5 yrs old, I put an A/C plug on my older brother's 15" speaker and plugged it in... BAM!

"I suspect that the build-quality of Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, et.al. are only incrementally better than this G3"
> The Lectrosonics, Zaxcoms and Audio Ltd have a much superior build quality and RF reliability, but one pays three times the cost of a G3. Does it sound 3x better? No.. (all other input parameters being equal)
Minor differences can be audible when A/B'ing normal dialog. Music and other program materiel w/ significant HF content is another story. The G2/3 companders are pretty awful sounding in those instances.
A $20 cable is still more reliable and sounds better then all the above mentioned wireless.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; January 26th, 2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: clarity & HTML mistake
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

To all...I found this 'disassembly' video fascinating. I own the Senn. G3 kit and have found it an adequate wireless system for my purposes. I never had the guts to disassemble the TX/RX packs, but it's reassuring to know the my little 'G3 kit' is well built and uses high-grade, industry standard components.

I'm sure the Lectrosonic brand is better (more $$$), it seems to be the de facto professional choice, but for my purposes the Sennheiser G3 fills the bill.

One of the first questions I asked when arriving on DVInfo was, "What about audio for video?". Honestly, the only reason I asked was it was the one subject I thought I knew a little something about. Boy! I couldn't have been more wrong! Audio for video is a subject all to itself.

I did have the opportunity to use a Sony wireless setup during a Workshop and found the system to be very user friendly and an overall smaller (marginally) form factor, which may make it more attractive to folks.

This is strictly subjective, but I found the Sony to be 'brighter' and the G3 to be a bit 'warmer', but that could just be my ears. Having never used the Lectrosonic system, I have no idea as to the quality of the sound produced, but can imagine, with all of the 'reality TV productions' using them, it's got to be top drawer.

Best regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

My friend's actually interested in these teardowns and does them himself. He actually did one on the Convergent Design NanoFlash. Just search "tesla500" on Youtube.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
Built like a brick "dunny" means the job has been done properly, dunny = out house
Surely that's a bit prim? This sort of 'out' house to be specific.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio