DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Super Bowl: People feel with their ears (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521334-super-bowl-people-feel-their-ears.html)

John Nantz January 30th, 2014 01:39 AM

Super Bowl: People feel with their ears

The Supper Bowl is on this weekend - The Seattle Sea Hawks vs the Denver Broncos.

And the big thing is the audio that is being broadcast along with the video. The National Football League has learned that even with High Definition video, the audio is at least half of the picture because "you feel with your ears".

"TV executives have embraced the value of audio in hooking the audience"

Personally, I like to hear the audio after the snap but I guess that isn't good for those with "sensitive ears".

How we hear 'Omaha': Sound key for NFL games on TV - San Jose Mercury News

Jon Fairhurst January 30th, 2014 12:44 PM

Re: Super Bowl: People feel with their ears

So true about feeling with ears!

When the crowd is screaming and the announcers excited, the play feels huge!

It even works against quarterbacks. Century Link Field has the world record for loudest fans in an outdoor stadium (137.6 db on the field!) On Colin Kaepernick's first visit, he was visibly disoriented by the sound.

Think about it. He's got 4-6 men ranging from 250-350 lbs bearing down on him every weekend, yet it's the sound of the crowd that freaks him out!

I've attended a few games there, and yes, the fans get crazy loud - even on first down just as the opponent starts to huddle. I was fortunate enough to attend the Budget Super Bowl (when the Broncos came to town before the season began) and we were still at full throat when the score was 40-10 - in the preseason.

It works at the other end of the spectrum as well - the right, delicate music can bring tears to the eyes.

Anyway... Go Hawks! :)

Gettin' Loud in the Hawk's Nest

Dave Blackhurst January 30th, 2014 04:38 PM

140 db would qualify as a hazardous volume level... in any industry...

My only question would be how many home systems have even an "adequate" sound system? Meaning more than two or 4 tinny built in speakers?

Jon Fairhurst January 31st, 2014 12:40 PM

Fortunately, the 137.6 dB level at the stadium isn't sustained. That happens at a moment of simultaneous cheering - when even the quietest person joins in. Sustained levels are closer to 110 dB.

They hand out earplugs for the biggest games. I bring my own.

Things won't be nearly as loud at the Super Bowl. First, team support will be split. Second, individual fan volume is inversely proportional to ticket price. :)

I wonder how many dB the Bruno Mars halftime show will be. And if it will be canned. :(

Rob Neidig February 3rd, 2014 10:43 AM

re: Bruno Mars and Super Bowl:

Jon, it sounded like Bruno Mars, and particularly the segment with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, probably was pretty loud. I was just watching on TV, not at the stadium. But it also appeared it was actually live! Nice, considering that some acts in the past have certainly not been. It's amazing to me that the crew can get a stage set up and pushed out on to the field in the short amount of time they have and actually have things work. I know it's all pre-rigged and pre-patched, but it's still impressive. I thought Bruno was great, too.

Jon Fairhurst February 4th, 2014 12:45 AM

Agreed. Bruno rocked it. (The Seahawks didn't do badly either.) And that drum solo was definitely live. You can't lip sync a drum solo! I'd love to spend some time with the sound pros that put that show together.

Which reminds me... a few years ago while riding in a limo/cab from northern NJ to EWR, the driver claimed that he ran sound for Monday Night Football for a number of years. The guy was bummed that people don't realize all that goes into such a live production. But his best stories were about the personalities he encountered. I wish I had recorded that ride!