frequency scanner or ditch G2s? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: frequency scanner or ditch G2s?

The 'published' frequency lists most times are just a waste of time & effort, what you NEED to know is what is happening 'right now'............
A scanner is worth the money if you are going to use radio mics seriously..... It shows what is around and also the harmonics that are created by adding another TX frequency (yours)
Things like Taxi's,CB radio's, construction sites, 2 way radio systems & other radio mic users will be the main problem and none of those would be listed, they may not be in direct competition with your frequency but its the harmonics that are the problem.

Buy RF Explorer model WSUB1G [TES82252P] | Seeedstudio
Checking Frequency Compatibility

Last edited by Brian P. Reynolds; February 9th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

What tests would you recommend? I've gotten great reception when watching the RF meter/walking away from transmitter at HOME, through walls and 50-100 feet away (hard to measure), no dropouts. ON LOCATION, the last few times, horrible problems when the trans/receivr were only a few feet away. The obvious answer is "bad location", but I've had the unit for about 10 years and it's on recently that it's started doing that. The occasional "zzzzzt!" hit? Sure, dropout city? Recent phenomenon. Don't know what tests I could do that would help more than sending it in to Senn.

I guess the big thing I'm afraid of is that I buy the scanner, use it, it tells me a certain channel/frequency is open, I set the G2 there, and it still has problems. Then I'm out $129 for that scanner (unless they have a generous return policy).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Are you ever going to use a radio mics in the future? If you are then you will use the scanner again.
The RF spectrum is CONSTANTLY changing, it's not a fixed thing. Yes if you are a fixed location like a theatre or studio it may not change much but location shooting is a totally different thing.
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #19
Major Player

Josh out of interest which scanner are you looking at?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Let's say you are working at a location where you've had the problem. Clearly the cause is not a permanent thing - if it was, the scan function of the radios would probably have rejected it - so whatever is wiping you out, is not transmitting all the time, and don't forget that if the issue is de-sense, which makes the receiver appear to be deaf, then the scanner will not help very much, because it's not the channel you are using that you need to check, it's those very close. Hence why I'm suggesting a analyser and not a scanner.

I'm not sure how it is in the States, but many scanners do NOT have continuous coverage as your FCC has rules. I have receivers that cover our UK channels, but US frequency block A is missing from some of them.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #21
Major Player

Here are some screen shots of my RF Explorer.....
I would use it a couple of times a week for location shoots..
Simple, cheap and effective.

Buy RF Explorer model WSUB1G [TES82252P] | Seeedstudio
Attached Thumbnails
frequency scanner or ditch G2s?-rf-explorer-1.jpg   frequency scanner or ditch G2s?-rf-explorer-2.jpg  

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

Im not sure i understand the last question addressed to me (which scanner are you looking at?)

Anyway, ive now gotten the opinion of two pro sound guys who say they trust their lectro scanners and therefore dont use a separate scanner. I dont know how it is with the 211, but the 411 displays the freq range as a bar graph the shows where the rf spikes are, giving you a way to find a sweet spot where little to nothing else is going on. That sounds identical to what the rf explorer does.

I work almost exclusively in houston and have only once in more than 10 years left texas for work.

Thinking a good plan might be a lectro 211 system, two ost lavs with hardwire adapters. Then i have not only a backup lav but the option to go wired when i can.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #23
Major Player

It comes down to $$$$$$ Yes some Lectro's have RF display features but they cost a LOT more than the Senni G2 /G3.
You can use a laptop with Senni software to get a GREAT real time display.
Yes you can use 'WinRadio' WiNRADiO Communications - The future of radio. as an analiser that uses hardware + software + Laptop PC.
I comes down to how much info do you want and how much do you want to spend?
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #24
Slash Rules!

Being that I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the unit (even if there isn't--with its track record lately there's no way I can even remotely trust it now), maybe it's a "sign" that it's time to upgrade to a higher class of audio. I figure go Lectro rather than get another lower end Senn system (i.e. G3).

When you look at used prices on some Lectros, they are not horrendously more costly than a new G3, plus, you're getting what is objectively a better system.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Major Player

If you are going to buy S/H be mindful of the frequency block changes that are happening world wide.... Don't buy a unit that will be in a banned block in your area..... It could be a costly mistake.
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Inner Circle

The reports I've read from folks who attend the proposed FCC auction meetings agree the 600MHz block (TV channels 36-52) are likely the next to go. Not immediately.. but soon.
This just in: The auction previously slated for this year would be delayed until 2015.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; February 12th, 2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: This just in:
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #27
Slash Rules!

Yes, thanks. I'm well aware of that issue. I believe it's block 26 in Lectro terms that's up for debate now. I have a few folks I trust to advise me on what's safe for the foreseeable future.

HOWEVER, with that said, people in town are still using stuff in the 700 band with no problems.

Anyway, if anyone's curious, Sennheiser will not simply examine my G2 without automatically fixing it, which means just to find out if there's anything wrong I would potentially pay basically what I paid for the unit to have it repaired, without wanting to. So I'm kind of stuck.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio