7D AGC Hiss at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 1st, 2014, 05:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

7D AGC Hiss

I already have the sennheiser MKE 400. But I’m having problems with the AGC hiss on the 7D. I don’t really use the audio from the 7D because I have the handy h1 zooms. However sometimes if something goes wrong with my zooms I have to use the audio from the 7D and this hiss thing is annoying.

I've watched a few tutorials on what to do to solve the problem. This guy seem to have the best simplest solution.
The only problem is now I have to purchase another Mic. Most of the other options involve double jacks, more wires and more stuff hanging off my camera, which isn't practical when I'm running around filming. It’s all just more stuff to go wrong or go missing.

Before I invest in the RODE I want to make sure that this will work (the video above). I'm a little concerned because I trialed this with my sennheiser MKE 400 (which has a + and - audio control). When turning down the internal mic the hiss is better or gone but everything is very quite. I know the rode videomic pro has 20db but does this combat the problem? Before I invest I just wanted to double check if anyone uses the above method already and if the audio is still on a good level when you turn down the internal audio.
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 7D AGC Hiss

The hiss has less to do with AGC noise and more to do with the overall crappy preamps used in DSLRs. The Rode's 'High Pass Filter' is the same thing as your Sennheiser's 'Low Cut' filter. Set your mic to the high sensitivity position, set the camera to manual level control, and experiment with the camera recording level settings. No need to buy as new mic to apply this technique. Thing is, no matter how you cut it you're putting lipstick on a pig and you can only go so far with recording audio in-camera ... DSLR audio is just not ready for prime time,
Old February 1st, 2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: 7D AGC Hiss

Ha...... 'lipstick on a pig'

I've experimented with the + - setting on my on my Sennheiser's and the to manual level on the camera. AGC sound does go but so does almost all of sound. The overall level of the audio is low. I know that this isn't a perfect audio solution but I was wondering if at least with the rode video pro mic the will be still at a decent level. I have a feeling it won't.

Attached image proves that lipstick on a pig can sometimes work

Ready to go clubbing... - The Meta Picture

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio