DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony ECM77 with Zoom H1 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521429-sony-ecm77-zoom-h1.html)

Ger Griffin February 3rd, 2014 05:26 PM

Sony ECM77 with Zoom H1 ?

Hi I need to improve my interview audio.
Im currently using the kit mic from the senn g2 kit with a zoom h1 recorder.

I want to get a better mic. I like the SonyECM77B and want to know if I can use this directly with the zoom H1? I know there is one version with a mini jack but is this supposed to be used with a specific transmitter or will it work with the H1?

I suppose if anyone can fill me in on the whole are of power requirements along with wether or not the H1 is up to the recording task.
If not any suggestions would be much appreciated. Quality is of the utmost importance so I could stretch to getting a H4n to record on that with the XLR cabled version of the mic, but only if I have to.

Im open to all other lapel mic / digital recording suggestions too (within the same pricerange).
Thanks
Ger

Nate Haustein February 3rd, 2014 11:42 PM

Re: Sony ECM77 with Zoom H1 ?

The version you're thinking of is the "ECM77BMP." It has the 1/8" locking connector.

Now, the '77BMP is wired for Sony transmitters, meaning the tip/ring/sleeve configuration is specific to Sony. I bought a few of these and needed to buy and re-wire the 1/8" connectors to work with my Sennheiser G3 transmitters.

I'm not sure what would happen if you plugged a new ECM77BMP into a Zoom. There's a possibility it would work, but also the possibility it wouldn't. Perhaps someone has a stock Sony lav they can plug into a Zoom to see if it works properly. If not, you can always re-solder the connector. It wasn't necessarily "easy," but I was able to get three of them working with no real soldering experience. Good practice in my opinion.

Also, I really like the ECM77 as a microphone. I would definitely recommend it.

Brian P. Reynolds February 4th, 2014 02:44 AM

I have used ECM77's for many years in broadcasting and have changed most of my gear to Rode Lavalier mics...
The reason, I believe they sound better, they have micon adaptors that can be changed to suit many situations.
Well worth a look.
rode lavalier | B&H Photo Video

Rick Reineke February 4th, 2014 11:55 AM

If the 3.5mm/1/8" plug is wired for a Sennheiser G2/3 bodypack wireless transmitter, it should work. The Sony 3.5mm/1/8" connection is wired in a 'non-conventional' configuration.
Don't know if the H1 has a plug-in pwr. on/off switch (software menu) like the other Zooms'.
IMO, if I were buying new lav in that price range, the ECM-77 would not be my first choice, though the 77 is not bad by any means.

Nate Haustein February 4th, 2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1830600)
IMO, if I were buying new lav in that price range, the ECM-77 would not be my first choice, though the 77 is not bad by any means.

I would kind of agree with this. Got both of mine for under $100 on eBay FWIW. Made it easier for me to cut the end off...

Ger Griffin February 4th, 2014 08:32 PM

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge.
Im getting lazy these days when it comes to research and very quickly came to the decision to get the sony but nothing has been purchased yet.
Its not written in stone by any means.
What is pushing me towards the sony though is that because it seems to be the 'industry standard' id imagine it has a familiar sound to it. One that the listener subconsiously considers to be 'professional/broadcast quality'

Ger Griffin February 4th, 2014 08:45 PM

Thanks Brian. The rode works with the H1, is less expensive than the sony and seems like a good purchase so definately worth considering.

Brian P. Reynolds February 5th, 2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1830660)
What is pushing me towards the sony though is that because it seems to be the 'industry standard' id imagine it has a familiar sound to it. One that the listener subconsiously considers to be 'professional/broadcast quality'

Sony used to be the industry 'standard'..... (about 15 years ago) the Network 'standard' these days are DPA's or Sanken or Sennheiser in 3rd choice then Sony as 4th place with Rode closing in fast.
The thing that makes Sony a very useable system is they have a very good range of mic clips and thats perhaps the downfall of Rode, the clips are still very basic.

By using a Sennheiser radio mic (cable / mic) does it fit in to a H1 or H4n? I would have thought that the locking ring would prohibit the full insertion of the plug.. Or if it works it wouldn't take much to knock it out.

Peter Riding February 5th, 2014 02:42 AM

By using a Sennheiser radio mic (cable / mic) does it fit in to a H1 or H4n? I would have thought that the locking ring would prohibit the full insertion of the plug.. Or if it works it wouldn't take mutch to knock it out.

I have several Sennheiser ME2 lavs (via my G3 kits) and Zoom H1's. I can confirm that they are not a reliable fit. They work out of the box but they are not tight enough to be reliable. The ME2's do work with the H4n though which I also have. Plugin power is on by default with the H1. It needs to be switched on in the menus with the H4n.

I'm having some right-angle plugs made up comprising a standard 3.5mm jack at one end and at the other end (a very short cable followed by) a locking Sennheiser type minijack socket in order to make the ME2's usable with the H1's without having to replace their existing plugs. The plugs are right-angle to reduce tugging stress possibly yanking out the 3.5mm jacks as H1's can often go in talent pockets.

Pete

Ger Griffin February 5th, 2014 08:53 PM

Yes I can also vouch for the senns not fitting the H1 properly. its basically the locking mechanism that causes an fit not so snug. I said its my current recording setup but truth be told I usually use the wireless with the receiever being sent into the H1 with a minijack to minijack.
I do have another sony dictaphone type device that works with the senn lav directly but its not as good as the H1 as a recorder.

So what lav to spend my €300 on? hmmmm

Im looking at the sanken cos-11 and there doesnt seem to be an out of the box minijack setup.
Really dont want to have to rewire a new mic.

The rode has a minijack solution.

Ger Griffin February 5th, 2014 09:13 PM

found a nice little video here if anyone wants to pop on a set of headphones.

Rick Reineke February 6th, 2014 11:22 AM

Sony ECM77 with Zoom H1 ?
The molded on Sennheiser 3.5mm locking plugs (that come with the G2/3 systems) will not insert fully into a standard non-locking 3.5mm/1/8" jack and therefore would not work. The TecNec 3.5mm/1/8" plug's locking collar retracts enough for full insertion. OST uses the TecNec plug. TecNec Locking 3.5mm Stereo Audio Plug Black 3.5, 2.5mm Mini Connectors at Markertek.com
I believe one of this forums sponsers DVeStore, uses the TecNec plug. (don't know who actually manufacturers the plug)
The Switchcraft locking plug's ring 'appears' to retract as well.