Power for Phantom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Power for Phantom

On my camera I have 2 xlr ports with the ability to power 48 phantom. When I am only using one input I can switch to make the signal go to both channels, unfortunately I cannot control the volumes independently, so I bought a splitter (to set one channel lower than the other) for the XLR MIC> Camera cord.. My question (before I fry my camera) is Do I turn on Phantom power to both inputs or just one?
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Power for Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
On my camera I have 2 xlr ports with the ability to power 48 phantom. When I am only using one input I can switch to make the signal go to both channels, unfortunately I cannot control the volumes independently, so I bought a splitter (to set one channel lower than the other) for the XLR MIC> Camera cord.. My question (before I fry my camera) is Do I turn on Phantom power to both inputs or just one?
Just one! A single mic is only going to need a single 48v phantom source. (edit: removed incorrect info, see posts 4 and 6 below)

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; February 5th, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
On my camera I have 2 xlr ports with the ability to power 48 phantom. When I am only using one input I can switch to make the signal go to both channels, unfortunately I cannot control the volumes independently
What camera is this? I find it very strange that you can't control the inputs independently if it has 2 inputs.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Providing phantom power from BOTH mic inputs ON THE SAME DEVICE will not "fry" the microphone. Phantom voltage does not "add".
HOWEVER this DOES NOT APPLY if you are feeding a microphone to DIFFERENT destinations. It is never wise to hard-join mic inputs from DIFFERENT gear without using a proper transformer-isolated splitter.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Trustee

You should also test your splitter cable to make certain that it is correctly wired.

Of course with phantom power it's important to test any XLR cable to make sure it is properly wired and hasn't developed broken, shorted, or intermittent connections.

A cable tester that can latch onto intermittent faults is very helpful for this.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Providing phantom power from BOTH mic inputs ON THE SAME DEVICE will not "fry" the microphone. Phantom voltage does not "add"...
I had to scratch my head for a moment... then realized that (properly wired) splitting would provide parallel power sources, doubling the available amps, *not* series, doubling the supplied voltage.

Quite right, thanks for the correction Richard.

You only need one channel supplying phantom, but two would be unlikely to hurt anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio