Microphone Madness Mics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 7th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Microphone Madness Mics?

I've been searching all over the web for a favourable review regarding the Microphone Madness mics but finding very limited information. Does any one have experience with these mics? Would you recommend them over to the Countryman B3?

I need replacement lav's for my wireless system, Zoom H1 & Tascam DR-03. Considering the MM-MSLM MatchStick Lapel Microphone.

MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Microphone Madness Mics?

Have not used (or even read about) Microphone Madness mics. The lav 'appears' to be close in appearance to the Countryman B3. The price is certainly attractive.
OTOH, the OST mics are in the same basic price range, are of known quality and made in the USA. (FWIW)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Major Player

+1 on Oscar Sound Tech lavs in this price range:

oscarsoundtech.com

Just email them for a price list. I have an 802 and a TL-40.

They have two Tram look-alikes, the 801 and 802. The 801 is a bit brighter (for use under clothing or if you just like a high end boost).

Then there is the TL-40. It looks like the Countryman mics - smaller than a B3 but not as small as the B6. I find it slightly brighter than my 802.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have about a dozen or so of the ear set MM mics, which I use along with the Countryman E6i's for theatrical performances. The E6i's go on the leads, and the MM's go on supporting actors/ensemble members. They hold up well against the Countryman (still favor the E6i's to my ear, but just slightly) and as you noted are very affordable. Mike @ MM is a joy to work with as well. He has rewired my MM elements when the cables eventually break for a very reasonable price.

/BILLW
Bill Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I ended up buying the OST TL-40 & 801. I couldn't really find anything about MM on the web so went with what is recommended, OST. I'm impressed with the construction quality of the OST mic's. The 801 has a high frequency boost which sounds bright compared to the TL-40. The 801 comes across as crisp with a bit of a sizzle. The TL-40 sounds very similar if not identical to the Sennheiser ME-2 to my subjective ears & very limited quick test. At first I preferred the sound of the 801 however the TL-40 has a more wholesome duller (natural) sound which I now prefer. I chose the right angled 3.5mm plug for my Zoom H1 which should minimize wear & tear on the cables over time keeping the recorder as a compact package. I usually place the recorder into the grooms suit pocket or wedding officiant. I opted for the 3ft cable which allows enough length to fit into a pants pocket if needed without being unnecessary long. Setting the input level on the Zoom H1 between 50-70 depending on situation yields good results. I now use the H1 over my wireless units.

Here is a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone Madness Mics?-ost-tl-40-801.jpg  

Last edited by Nicholas de Kock; March 11th, 2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Updated
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The TL-40 sounds very similar if not identical to the Sennheiser ME-2 to my ears
> Night and day difference. All six of my rarely used ME2 (oil can style) sound the same (mediocre, and susceptible to cable and rubbing noise) compared to the TL40.
BTW, OST offers longer cable length @ $2.00 per extra foot when ordering. The standard length is 5 feet (1.5 meters) as I recall.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; March 12th, 2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: auto correct typo
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #7
Major Player

I agree that the TL-40 is a definite improvement over the ME2.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio