Shure VP82 and AT875r compatibility with NTG-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 28th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Shure VP82 and AT875r compatibility with NTG-1

Currently using the NTG-1 in my EX1r kit but moving it to my boom as I no longer have access to a second NTG-1 for that. I want something shorter for on camera shotgun. Looks like the AT875r will do nicely and give back 1.5" in length. But the Shure VP82 looks good yet there is scant information about it. Only one thread shows up searching here. I've asked Shure for the dimensions.

Anyone using the Shure VP82? Is it a mistake to mix the Rode NTG-1 with AT875?

Primary use is in-country documentary. Fast moving in the field as well as studio sit downs. The on camera mic is for backup and ambient sound.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Shure VP82 and AT875r compatibility with NTG-1

The VP82 appears to be 195mm (7.7") long Shure VP82 | RecordingHacks.com

IMHO, there isn't as much need for "matching" microphones used for different purposes (primary dialog pickup vs. "ambient sounds", for example).
A shotgun ON the camera isn't really a viable "backup" source unless you are unrealistically close to the subject, at least IMHO.
A shotgun may not be the optimal pattern for ambient collection.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yea. Shure pointed out the dimensions are on page 15 of the user guide. When it wasn't in the Specs table on page 3 and English stopped being used, I gave up looking. The full dimensions are 7.68x.875 (195mmx22mm).

I've had situations where the wireless was being overdriven but the shotgun on camera 5 feet away was usable. So emergency backup is a better description. Ditto in interior sit downs.

I don't go out and purposely record ambient. Being 5-15 feet away, it picks up enough of the surrounding sounds that I find useful. YMMV

Anyway, has anyone used the VP82?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bumping this thread cause ditto. Also have an EX1R kit and need a short shotgun. Both of the ones I'm investigating are listed in this thread.

Reading reviews, some people hear a high-pitch whine in the AT875 and I'm avoiding the NTG-1 now because I need to use this with portable recorders like the H4n or, what I'm likely to get, the H5. Apparently the NTG-1 is very power hungry and inefficient.

So, does anyone have experience with the VP82?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Trustee

I have no experience with the Shure VP82. I have never heard any problems with my two AT875's.

See my comment in your other thread.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio