Lav Placement... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 28th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Lav Placement...

In my world (broadcast and corporate), MOS is "mit out sound" as well and Man On The Street interviews are Streeters or Vox Pop (especially in French).
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #17
Trustee

Don, Your welcome. MOS seems to be an acronym with many meanings. Mom over Shoulder. came up fairly quickly

Here is the movie version.

Movie★Slate > Support > FAQs
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #18
Trustee

Never been asked or bothered to hide a lav. For live speaking and meetings, just clip it on the lapel, about level with the pocket top. When not using a suit jacket, then on the tie, also level with the shirt pocket top. Make sure that the mic is not touching fabric, or in the way of long hair that would introduce friction noise.

For more formal interviews or where I have time, I always hide/secure the cord, sometimes under the lapel around the collar and then down the back, fixed with a little gaffers tape to prevent interviewees from subconsciously fiddling with it and creating noise, (it happens). I also add a small 1/2 inch loop at the base of the mic and secure it through the clip. This prevents noise transmitted by the cord when it moves.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
A popular (presumed to be mythical) origin theory is that MOS stands for broken English "mit out sound", that is, "without sound" as a 1920s German-émigré director might have said it.

According to this theory, a German director, recently transplanted to Hollywood (probably Ernst Lubitsch, but possibly Fritz Lang), was asked by a script supervisor how he would like to shoot the next scene of the day. The director responded "mit out sprechen!", and so this was noted as a joke on the production reports and the camera slates for the shot. In The Screenwriter's Bible, David Trottier credits the term to Austrian director Erich von Stroheim, who allegedly would tell his crew "Ve'll shoot dis mid out sound." Many have also referred to MOS as "motion on screen."

Documentary, news and reality shows have added to the meaning of MOS to mean "man on street" which are random interviews from the public, although in the UK the term "vox pop" is commonly used for this instead (from the Latin "vox populi"- "voice of the people").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_(filmmaking)
I recently worked on a production where we had a visible camera on a circular track around the four guys at a table. But the producer insisted on HIDDEN mics and we struggled to keep them all working through dozens of costume changes. :-(
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Since I work mostly in film production lately, 'MOS' means "without sound" to me.
FWIW, I did a lot of freelance ENG news work and have never heard the term MOS 'Man on Street' used. At least in NY, may be different in other parts of the country/world though.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #21
Trustee

Not to contradict Rick's experience in NY but I have heard of MOS as man on the street here and Vox Pops as well as a few other terms. NY is a big city.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Guys,
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to start anything. ;-) I've always or at least for the last 30 years known MoS to stand for "man on the street". I've not done film production so I never heard of the other definitions of the acronym.
I AM glad to know of the other meanings so now when I say MoS, which BTW also means Military Occupational Specialty, of which mine was 11BX(P) meaning, Infantry (11B) X meaning rank, in my case 4=Sgt. and the P meaning Parachute qualified, but I digress.
Perhaps it was just an abbreviation for some in the live event industry in my area when they would use MoS to signify they wanted Man on the Street interviews.
In any case, now I know. See even old dogs can learn new tricks. Woof!
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Trustee

While we're at it, if I wanted to 'hide my lav' I would either
(a) put the lid down
(b) shut the door
or even
(c) remove the sign

Now, tie clip mics, that's another matter. :-)

Shouldn't a lavalier mic be hung from a pendant anyway (or possibly a pedant like me. :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #24
Trustee

This is not the first time I have seen the suggestion that we hang the pedants. And I was frequently included as one of the offenders.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #25
Slash Rules!

I usually think of MOS relating to "no sound", but have probably heard it for "man on the street" as well.

I would usually center the lav (e.g. on a tie or whatever) if possible for a speaker on stage, unless for some reason they're only going to be looking to one side the whole time, then I'd bias the lav toward that side. I figure center, voice won't drop off as much as head swings side to side, no?

Also, when hiding JUST the wire, around the collar etc. always seems a pain (seems to pull the mic in weird directions). I always try to go down the shirt (well not me personally but the mic hardy har tee hee nudge nudge wink wink). For a dude, in through an upper button hole and out a lower one, remaining lav wire through belt loops, trans box on belt/pants somewhere. Obviously this is with biz-casual attire on talent.

Tshirts? Whatever.

For a lady? Whatever works.

Topless man covered in popcorn oil? I've stepped into the wrong room and meant the one down the hall.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Tshirts?
A Tram or other small side address mic with a vampire clip at the collar is common, as is attached to the skin at the sternum with Stickies or other adhesive aides.
Woman are usually easier, vampire clipped mic to the center of a bra.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 11:46 AM   #27
Trustee

Brock,

This is all brand new to you. Take it one step at a time. Hiding the mic exponentially increases your chances of flawed recordings. If your going to hide it have a solid back up recording in place too.

If your going to let the wire show, DO NOT run it over the shoulder from the back to front! That screams amateur and looks so bad it makes me crazy!

For obvious reasons I have always asked women for permission to touch them before I attach a lav. In the last few years I have also been asking male presenters for permission. I am amazed by how many men say no and insist on doing it themselves. Ironically, the ones that say no are almost always physicians.

Steve

PS I am not a fan of the upside down placement technique. Too much opportunity for sound pick up from outside the proper pattern for my comfort zone, even with a so called omni, I just can't do it.
Old March 30th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #28
Inner Circle

If your going to let the wire show, DO NOT run it over the shoulder from the back to front! That screams amateur and looks so bad it makes me crazy!

OOOPS. I did that a year ago on an interview with an 80 year old lady who BTW was driving me crazy for a number of reasons but I ran the cable over the shoulder just as you described. At the time there was a valid reason that I did. Oh yeah the producer said "do it that way". I said it wouldn't stay and wouldn't look good, she said "DO IT". I shook my head and did it. The cable was hidden at first but after about 5 minutes into the interview it slipped into sight. I saw it, called a halt, fixed it, started again and within another 5 minutes it was showing. I motioned to the producer of this segment which was going to take another 50 or 60 minutes to shoot and she motioned back to forget about it. Just leave it. I wasn't in a position to argue with her so I did what she said to do and left it. It hurt my eyes but she was the one in charge and I couldn't get her to understand. Yes it was her first job as a producer.
Oh well. Her call, not mine.
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:31 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Hey Rick, I don't understand what you meant. MOS to me has always been 'Man on the Street' news style so I'm not sure about your comment. Please explain.
In the UK we have always called these sort of interviews "vox pop" (voice of the population).
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:52 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Generally MOS means without sound (mitt out sound), that's not to say you won't get a different meaning within sections of the industry. You do find areas where terms have used in a way locally, which may not apply in the industry as a whole. In news some newspaper terms have been carried over, but in the UK vox pop is the term used

Some organisations also have their own terminology, the BBC has/had quite a few examples of this: Chroma key being referred to as CSO (colour-separation overlay) in the BBC.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio