Cannon Xh-a1 onboard mic no audio, no levels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 6th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Cannon Xh-a1 onboard mic no audio, no levels

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster. I've had a Canon XH-A1 for about 7 years now,

That I've used as my main shooting camera for just about everything. I know it's a bit old at this point but it's been so reliable, and it's image quality so solid, that I haven't felt the need to replace it.

That is until last night.

I was testing a simple lavaliere mic connected via XLR to the channel 1 input on the camera's XLR terminal, for levels and quality.

I had just bought it and needed it for a shoot Wednesday. I had hooked it up in the usual way, by enabling XLR input from the cameras audio menu and plugging in the mic. I turned the mic on and everything worked just as one would expect to I got a nice clean audio signal and levels on the meters in the viewfinder.

So I turned off the mic, went back into the camera menu turned XLR input off and unplugged the mic.

That's when I noticed that the onboard mic had not re engaged as one would expect it to.
There was no audio, coming through no levels registered. I thought that maybe I had hit some sort of switch on accident, but after spending hours trying to find anything out of place within the internal menus and on the body of the camera, I am at a loss. All attenuators are off, everything is available in the audio menu, the manual audio level adjustment is not set low in short nothing that I can readily determine should be causing this problem.

I power cycled the camera several times, even going so far as to pull out the battery and letting it sit for a few seconds. I also reset the internal menus to factory settings. Still nothing. It's like someone flipped an invisible switch and the onboard mic is simply off.

The odd thing is that the camera will record fine from any external source. You can plug mics into the XLR inputs on the side of the camera body, or the 1/4 inch jack on the side the onboard mic itself and get solid audio,

(which is what I will be doing until I either resolve this issue or replace the camera so I can continue shooting.)

Even the tally light on the front of the onboard mic works just fine.

I guess my question is this has anyone had this sort of issue with the camera before and if so how did you manage to solve it.?

If not, and this indeed the first death knell for my trusted XH-A1...what would you recommend as a good replacement camera for someone who has spent nearly a decade shooting on one, and loves it.

Thanks everyone!
Radek Skalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Cannon Xh-a1 onboard mic no audio, no levels

Sorry I have no experience with the Canon XH-A1, but I suspect you changed something in the software menu. If possible plug the mic and cable into another device to rule out a faulty mic or cable; if the they check out OK, look for the suspect audio setting. (or.. re-set the camera's software back to factory default)
Usually it's a very simple setting that overlooked, then a 'DUH' moment. Happens to all of us, seasoned pros included.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Cannon Xh-a1 onboard mic no audio, no levels

It's possible the internal switch in the 3.5mm (not 1/4-inch) external mic input is aged/oxidized/bent. If this switch doesn't work, it won't allow the built-in mics to come back on even though nothing is plugged into the external 3.5mm mic jack.

You could try gently inserting, twisting and gently unplugging a clean (no fingerprints!) 3.5mm stereo plug into the external mic jack several times and see if you can get anything from the built-in mics when the jack is vacant.
Even if you do get them back, if the internal switch inside the jack has oxidation or is no longer making a strong physical contact, you could get crunchy audio from the built-in mics at some point.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio