inexpensive hand held mic at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
inexpensive hand held mic

Saturday was a nightmare! Had my zooms and voice recorders set up nice then the flaming venue had a broken distorted hand held mic that sounds terrible! Got the same venue and would like to offer them my own nice mic instead of struggling with theirs? Anything good but cheap
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,261
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Better to get the venue to afford a proper quality mic that won't futz out on them.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Recording what on the mic - musical vocals or speech such as stand-up comedy or what? Are you sure their mic was faulty or did the FOH engineer not know what he was doing?
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Yes steve the speeches! The mic had a banging noise when moved slightly and rustled like a distorted noise.
Cheers steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Better to get the venue to afford a proper quality mic that won't futz out on them.

Andrew
Will try ringing them tommorow andrew!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #6
DVi Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 374
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

It also could be the mic cable. Often the XLR connector will have an issue that will allow for this type of handling interference. Hand miss are built to take a lot of abuse. Cables not so much.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,941
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

If it's a PA set-up then carrying a cardioid dynamic in your kit bag may be useful. A shure SM58 is the std PA mic in the UK but if you are after a low cost gen purpose mic then a studiospares one would do:

Studiospares S945 Dynamic Vocalists Mic w/Switch at Studiospares

Note that mic has a switch which may be what they have for weddings but they also do one without a switch.

Personally I carry several dynamic mics for such use including an SM58 and a sennheiser with a switch that is similar to the one above, I also have omni directional dynamic mics for use when there is no PA system to consider.

You are right to ask the venue as it may be the cable as others have pointed out or if the mic has been dropped the capsule may be loose inside the mic casing.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reading Berkshire UK
Posts: 827
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Many if not most wedding venues in the UK that use a PA system are using wireless handheld mics for the speeches and to complicate things further are also using ancient out of date frequencies. And the staff knowledge extends to little more than how to switch the system on and off - understandable as they have contractors to do anything more. And in the UK unlike in the USA the DJ seldom if ever has responsibility for anything other than running his music, evening only.

Even if you were luck out and find a venue running Senny G3's 606-648 you still have to match that up in the little time available.

When I've had this scenario I've asked that the speakers dispense with using the mike altogether. Fortunately in most venues with a seated capacity up to around 150 for the speeches the room acoustics are good enough for all the guests to hear. And using a mic can sound worse than not using one even if its working as it should! I either fit out the speakers with lavs or run H1's close to them, or both.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
If it's a PA set-up then carrying a cardioid dynamic in your kit bag may be useful. A shure SM58 is the std PA mic in the UK but if you are after a low cost gen purpose mic then a studiospares one would do:

Studiospares S945 Dynamic Vocalists Mic w/Switch at Studiospares

Note that mic has a switch which may be what they have for weddings but they also do one without a switch.

Personally I carry several dynamic mics for such use including an SM58 and a sennheiser with a switch that is similar to the one above, I also have omni directional dynamic mics for use when there is no PA system to consider.

You are right to ask the venue as it may be the cable as others have pointed out or if the mic has been dropped the capsule may be loose inside the mic casing.
Brilliant Gary thanks! I think it is the cable inside as I can hear it rattle!! Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
Many if not most wedding venues in the UK that use a PA system are using wireless handheld mics for the speeches and to complicate things further are also using ancient out of date frequencies. And the staff knowledge extends to little more than how to switch the system on and off - understandable as they have contractors to do anything more. And in the UK unlike in the USA the DJ seldom if ever has responsibility for anything other than running his music, evening only.

Even if you were luck out and find a venue running Senny G3's 606-648 you still have to match that up in the little time available.

When I've had this scenario I've asked that the speakers dispense with using the mike altogether. Fortunately in most venues with a seated capacity up to around 150 for the speeches the room acoustics are good enough for all the guests to hear. And using a mic can sound worse than not using one even if its working as it should! I either fit out the speakers with lavs or run H1's close to them, or both.

Pete
Thanks peter I usually get rid of the mic but this occasion the room is very large and guests always shout can't hear!!!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,844
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Shure SM58. Since 1966. Affordable and pretty much indestructible.
However.. there are millions of 58 look alike clones from both legitimate and downright fraudulent manufactures. Buy from a reputable source.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Cheers rick
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LOWESTOFT - UK
Posts: 2,125
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Never buy a 58 on ebay - brand new ones should come from Shure's dealer network, and they don't sell on ebay, and now people are selling brand new fakes as hardly used to make them appear genuine. Shure 58s and often Sennheiser 835's are almost certain to be fakes on ebay!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,609
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Not to mention they're not that much to begin with.
Shure SM58-CN - Cardioid Dynamic Microphone at B&H=$109.00
You won't save anything buying it off Ebay since the chances are, it's not a real Shure SM58.
I tech'd a big conference for the last 3 days. 4 break out rooms, each had 2 to 4 SM58s. Average age of them was probably 15 years. Beat to hell, but worked like new. I believe you could pound nails with an SM58 and in between nails, use it for a seminar or conference.
I carry 2 in my audio bag just for emergency use along with the SM63 in my camera case for HH on camera work. Not as tough, but more elegant looking and has a bigger range. When I bought it, it was about $125.00 so again, little cost factor.
__________________
What do I know? I'm just a video-O-grafer.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #15
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England liverpool
Posts: 1,312
Re: inexpensive hand held mic

Cheers don & Paul
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network