Olympus LS12 file name question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Olympus LS12 file name question

Does anyone know of a way to change the file naming scheme of this handheld recorder? Each file name gets the date, which I like, and then a number that eternally counts up. It would be nice if this second number would default back to zero for each day's shooting. Instead it just keeps counting up, continuing on from the previous day's number. Very, very annoying.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Olympus LS12 file name question

Very, very annoying.
> I hear ya Marco,
I don't have the Olympus, but it sounds similar to Tascam's. In which, some do have a 'Date' or 'Name' option, depending on the model. IOn Tascams', to reset the file numbers back to '000', I must go to the software 'System' menu and execute 'Initialize", which unfortunately resets ALL the parameters back to factory default. A real PITA for sure. However (at least in my case), it only needs to be done once a day, by scene or film roll.
On your Olympus, I would look for a similar 'Initialize' or 'Reset' software menu item.. and would assume it's like the Tascam, so re-check/re-set your record and other parameters.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tried a reset and it reset everything BUT the file name. Grrr. Such a nice a little recorder too.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

So I took out the batteries and let it sit a spell and when I finally put them back in again it had forgotten the date and time, which all had to be reset, but STILL continued with the file sequence numbering from the previous take. This is a really stubborn problem.
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Trustee

I don't have an LS12, but from your last description, I wonder whether it's reading the files that are already on the card, and then starting with the next sequential number.

What if you remove the batteries, remove the card, format the card in a PC, reinsert the card in the Olympus, and then put in the batteries? Would it then start at zero?

--

As another alternative, there are utilities that will allow you to batch rename files. I frequently use BRU (Bulk Rename Utility) which might work for you in two simple steps.

After you select all the files from the date in question, the first step would be to have BRU sequentially number the files starting with zero (or one, or whatever you wanted as a starting number). You can have it append the new number to the end of the file name. e.g. if the file is now "abcd456.wav" the new name would be "abcd456001.wav" etc. You can use an many digits as you want for the new number, and you can also insert some punctuation, e.g. "abcd456-0001.wav" or whatever.

The final step would be to strip out the original sequential numbers that you don't want, so you'd end up with "abcd-0001.wav" or whatever you want. And of course the numbering would be sequential so you'd end up with "abcd-0002.wav" etc.

According to the accompanying .pdf documentation, the author is Jim Willsher, and the website is http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk . Apparently there are Win32 and Win64 versions bundled in the .zip archive. My files are all dated 2008, but the website is still there as of 1:00 PM EDT today.

Last edited by Greg Miller; May 14th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

"I wonder whether it's reading the files that are already on the card, and then starting with the next sequential number"
I think Greg may be onto something.
Try going to a new or empty folder, then reset the machine. If that's possible on the LS12.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I really thought that Greg's solution was going to do it, but no luck. I do notice that the reset function I've been doing is only a settings reset. Can't find an option to do a system reset. Very aggravating.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Trustee

I did not find a decent manual online, only a basic "quick-start" kind of guide... lots of pictures but very little useful text. (IMHO any company guilty of foisting these on the public should be ashamed.)

It contains the following comment: "The recorder uses some of its memory capacity to maintain a management file." (Italics mine) So perhaps the file numbers are being stored in this "management file" and you can't change them easily.

I note that Olympus has a US office in Pennsylvania, and a toll-free number. With luck, someone might be able to explain how to reset the counter in question, or do a full system reset.

Otherwise, try BRU, it's quite powerful and surprisingly quick and easy to use... probably quicker than doing a full reset and then manually restoring all of your custom settings! And it's essentially a "portable" program; you don't even install it, you just unzip the executable and run it whenever you want it... just like the good old days. Besides, it's entirely free, so what can you lose?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Greg!
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Here is a link to the LS12 manual, I have not had a chance to peruse.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/...UAL_EN_U01.pdf
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I've scoured it. Nothing about a system reset sadly.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Inner Circle

From what I see, menu setting info starts on page 64.
it further states on page 73:
Device Menu Reset Settings
This function returns all other functions to their initial settings (factory default).
[ Start ]: Returns the settings to their initial values.
[ Cancel ]: Takes you back to [ Device Menu ]

> however it continues to state:
After the settings have been returned to their initial values, the time settings and file numbers are preserved, without being returned to their initial settings.

???????????????
Without having the machine to fork with.. I'm stumped.
A secret command or the machine evaporates after file 999.
Maybe a fresh (re)formatted card returns the file count to _000, bizarre as that would be.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Tried the reformatted card. I've also tried a reformatted card with a fresh file numbered with the date and zeros (created by putting the card in my Mac) and it still continues from the old number. They seem to be really serious about their number scheme. I can't fathom why that is so important to them. I'm starting to think it just makes more sense to print up a bunch audio reports with Olympus' numbers already printed out and then I can just add the appropriate scene and take numbers to the sheet.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio