Recording from Mixer to Zoom H1N at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording from Mixer to Zoom H1N

Been doing dance recitals for several years now and have always used on-cam mics and zoom H1N to capture ambient audio but I would like to record directly from the mixer to my zoom H1N as an alternative this year to see how it works.

I've done a lot of research on this but with my lack of knowledge in the audio field, I'm not making much progress.

The first thing I learned is that the Zoom H1N requires a mic-level input and that most mixers output at line-level. I proceeded to create a 50dB pad cable by taking a 1/8" stereo TRS extension cable, cutting off one end, and adding in some resistors and a new 1/4" male stereo TRS connector.

I was attempting to test this last night at the venue. They provided me an adaptor to connect my 1/4" TRS into an XLR output on their Yamaha M7CL mixer. The pad cable seemed to work okay as I was able to get a good recording, but it only came through as mono on the left channel.

Does anyone know how this should be done properly to get a stereo recording from the mixer to my Zoom H1N? The sound guy at the venue didn't really seem to know what he was doing and obviously I have no clue.
Brad Ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recording from Mixer to Zoom H1N

Actual stereo, or just feeding both channels (dual mono)?
The latter just needs the tip and ring of the 1/8" TRS plug tied together.
If it's a 'stereo mix' coming from the house board, there would be two lines, left and right. Typically the left channel is connected to the 1/8" TRS input plug's tip, right to ring. Of course BOTH would need attenuation for a mic level input.
FWIW, I think H1 has a line input.. although it would be unbalanced @ nominal -10dB , so 10-15dB of attenuation would be needed for feeding a +4dB signal.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio