Shotgun mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 10th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Shotgun mic

If you have to mount a mic on the camera then the 875R is ideal as it is very short, I have a cut down WS/6 for when I have one on my ENG cameras but tend to have the stock panasonic mic on board as it is just there for a generic sound fx gather.

I would think that an AT875r with a PG2 and WS/6 would be a good addition to your current set-up and should be around $250.

I've posted these before but here is the AT875r on a gitzo carbon fibre boom straight into the back of a panasonic P2 camera for an indie drama I did a few years ago!

Old June 11th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Major Player

You can try a shotgun Sennheiser MKE 600, ofcourse it is slightly more than your budget http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/878340-REG/Sennheiser_MKE_600_Shotgun.html
This one can be operated by phantom as well as via battery.

If you are using an omni or a stereo microphone for ambient sounds, then it will record the sound of your lens image stabilisation.

Microphones hold their value well ie they don't depreciate fast. So better to buy the best quality microphones so that you can use that in future. Incase you believe in this logic, then of course you will start looking at MKH 416 and many others at even a higher price. :)
Old June 15th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'm old school.

Meaning...I don't like to spend a lot of money if I don't have to...but I want the best quality.

Over the last few years, I've bought two different Sennheisser ME80 mics off of eBay and could not be happier. Of course I look at a seller's rating as well as the perceived condition of the mic. I most often run it off of phantom power from my camera or my mixer. The battery it uses is an odd size but those are very easy to come by cheaply off of eBay as well.

I have never paid over US$200 for one of these mics and they show up regularly so...with patience and caution, I'd suggest you look there.

I have one ME80 permanently mounted on my camera and a second which I boom for certain sit-down interviews.

The sound is great and the price of the mic...even better.

They were standard during my early years in television. After thirty plus years...they are still around and living up to their well earned reputation.

Just a suggestion on my part which might help you meet your price point and need for quality sound.

<edited to add>

Here's a link on eBay to the battery which will work with the mic if you don't have phantom power.
Don't freak out if it's not a "pure" 5.6 volt battery. I use this 6 volt battery in mine and they work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exell-S23PX-...item35d16eaf1c

In case someone reads this in the future and the product at this link is gone. Search eBay for "V23PX photo battery". They are a short "barrel" size and not long, like a traditional AA battery. I've never had a problem finding them when I needed them.

Last edited by John DuMontelle; June 15th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
John DuMontelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Maybe this is a good time to make an awareness post. Nearly everything I have, which is a lot, has been bought used, but having said that ....

It's always a good idea to be aware that there is counterfeit gear out there so it pays to be careful.

Counterfeit Sennheiser ME-66
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/service...unterfeitalert

AKG How to tell a counterfeit:
Home | AKG

News article about Shure shutting down a Chinese counterfeit operation:
Shure seizes counterfeits in Shanghai - 22 May 2009 - Daily Online News - LSi Online

Shure sm58 counterfeit:
Fake Shure Beta series Microphones - How to spot them | eBay
The problem with buying stuff on eBay is it the description often isn't detailed enough to determine the authenticity of the item.

Canon:
Canon U.S.A. : About Counterfeits: Welcome

Excerpt from a DVinfo post:
AGMA - Alliance for Gray Market & Counterfeit Abatement
James Emory, Regular Crew, June 18, 2005 #1
This informative site explains and defines different types of fraud and how it affects the marketplace. Visit the FAQ for more details.
American Guild of Musical Artists

DVDs:
and take care as worldwide plague of counterfeit dvd/bd storage media has become quite convincing in appearance...
TAIYO YUDEN CO., LTD. (TAIYO YUDEN CO., LTD.)

try to determine date of mfr of bd-r disk pack BEFORE buying... established brands always have mfr date on package label...

Buying from an established retailer isn't necessarily a guarantee, either. Awhile back a major guitar retailer was found selling some counterfeit stuff. When we had our business there was a distributor from the San Francisco Bay Area selling counterfeit Shure cartridges. Looked just like the real thing but in this case the packaging didn't match the OEM product. The store down the street bought from them, though. (Fortunately, they're no longer in business.)

Not everyone out there is as honest as you/we are so buyer beware. These counterfeit items don't disappear, they just get re-sold!.

Then there is always grey market. Good luck with any warranty. Sometimes the product is built slightly different, too.

[Edit]: Speaking of ambient sounds, when I first got the ME66 shotgun I tried it out in the back yard. It's amazing how on a nice quiet day it can pick up all sorts of ambient sounds. Including the occasional car, and then .... a plane, probably around 8,000 feet or so and headed for SeaTac, went over. We humans tend to "tune these sounds out" but the mic seems to tune them in!

Oh, by the way, the mic (bought used) worked great.

Last edited by John Nantz; June 15th, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Ambient sounds
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio