How to avoid/beat Repetitive Strees Injury? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 20th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: How to avoid/beat Repetitive Strees Injury?

Let us know how it works out. As with all injuries it will take time to heal.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I will!...;-).

I gotta say that today at home I changed the configuration of my workspace, I put the screen in front of me, etc, did some stretches before working and installed this software to try out:

WorkPace (stretch-break software) » Wellnomics

And right now, after hours of working (pen+keyboard--no mouse) my right hand wrist, where I use keyboard (regular one) has not bother as much as before, I think what is key is that I try to be alert on how I seat and such and this little software is great reminder, doing those micro-pauses in which I stretch all the time and then the longer ones where it shows videos on what to do longer stretches helps a lot.

I would not need any software but as I know, I get deep into working and forget to rest for hours, so with those auto riminders that is taken care off. So I hope that along with future mouse I don't run into cronic RSI pains.

Cheers!
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Milan View Post
I wonder if with practice I can achive such a speed with the pen (I have use the pen not too long), I go much faster than before but not as fast with them. Do any of you use a wacom and go as fast with mouse expecially selecting and such?
I used a wacom exclusively for 5-6 years - I switched over specifically due to tendonitis pain from repetitive use. Personally I found I could be faster with it, but it did take some practice. I found a smaller tablet to be better for interface work - for a while I had a 12x12, but I mapped a small area in the corner which I used to navigate the screen, and then would move to the larger area for photoshop work where I needed the precision of the larger area. With the smaller area you can jump the cursor around the screen instantly with very little motion (much less than a mouse), it just takes some time to get precise with it.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I've been using a Wacom tablet at work for well over a decade. Mine is a 6x8 Wacom. The size is balanced well for UI and artwork. Even is right. Less motion for UI and more motion for art would be ideal.

The two ongoing hassles are having to pick up & put down the pen and situations where you need to click exactly the same spot multiple times. With a mouse, you just leave it in place and click. With a pen, you lift it and it never goes back to exactly the same spot.

At home, I've recently gotten the Apple Magic Mouse. It works surprisingly well. I hold it with a light touch and extend my thumb to keep my wrist at a somewhat neutral rotation. This is different than "palming" a thicker mouse. Similarly, it responds to light touches on its surface.

I think that's part of the equation: learning to relax when using the pointer. If you grip things hard, it stresses soft tissue and locks the hand into a static, repetitive position. If you relax and let the joints move gently, it's more natural. Then again, I haven't been working intensively at home recently. If I were racing the clock with points and clicks, my experience with the Magic Mouse might be different.
Old July 6th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You're right, lot's of audio file editing can result in repetitive strain injuries.

I had a bluetooth mouse that wasn't connecting properly and required excessive movement that resulted in wrist, arm and shoulder pain.

I went from a wireless mouse to a hardwired track ball two years ago and it's been great. Took about two or three days to get used to, but I'm VERY happy to have made the switch.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio