Phantom power supply at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 20th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Phantom power supply

I want to get a small phantom power supply, such as powered by a 9v battery, that I can use with a wireless XLR transmitter. My wireless system does not supply Phantom power. I plug the receiver into my camcorder.
My camcorder, Sony EA 50, comes with an OK shotgun mic. The camcorder supplies Phantom power. But if I try to use the mic with my Sennheiser SKP 100 G3 plug-on transmitter it won't work because the transmitter does not supply Phantom power. The transmitter works fine with a dynamic mic.

I want something small. A barrel or XLR to XLR microphone cable with a battery?

I've tried searching, but have come up empty.
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Phantom power supply

Here's a page from B&H. Phantom Power Supplies | B&H Photo Video

I have used a Fat Boy power supply when I've needed it. Personally the mic from the EA50 really isn't all that good. I have a few of the older versions sitting around in my bag as just in case mics but honestly haven't used them for years. IMO you'd be better off getting a new mic like an AT897 or something like that. Not that costly and better sound but that's just me.
Old June 21st, 2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Trustee

Change your SKP100 to an SKP300 and you have it all in one unit!
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Major Player

You could try the irig hack. It gets very good results from audio people.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm happy with my Denecke PS-1A
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/403002-REG/Denecke_PS_1A_PS_1A_Portable_Single.html
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Major Player

What sort of mic do you want to plug into your XLR transmitter?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would like to use the phantom -powered shotgun mic that comes with my Sony EA-50, the ECM-XM1. I am open to buying a better mic, but I thought I could find a battery-powered phantom power supply—small—like a barrel or built into a microphone cable. I don' t see any products like that.
I don't really want to do the Irig hack—though it is tempting to adapt the idea. I need a standard XLR to standard XLR, just like a microphone cable.

Or I'll buy a battery powered AT897 as Don suggested.
Steve Bobilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The phantom boxes are generally bigger because of the circuitry involved. Personally I think you're better off with a different mic. First like I said I have a few of the NX1's laying around and I used to use them as a last resort. MY general purpose SHOTGUN mic is my AT897, with my AKG Blueline Hyper as my #1 mic and THAT mic I could power with my Fat Boy Phantom supply and my AT plug in transmitter.
We all hate to spend money but I have to think a better mic that can be powered with an AA battery OR phantom power would be a better investment.
However your money your choice.
Good luck.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

When I had my Panasonic cams I used Rode Videomics ..they are a little bulkier than the NG's but are cheap as chips and have a nice output (around -38dbA) so for general use they work very well and, of course are self powered too ... I used to have one on a boom feeding a transmitter and had good results even if the ambient noise was quite high ... Dunno about Hawaii but here they are $149.00 brand new!!

I keep my EA-50 mic on both cameras so I have a nice backup just in case .. they seem to work well at fairly close range but I have never used them remotely. Maybe look for a used Videomic and try it. It does use a 9v battery but they last for years!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Plenty of them around but as most are built around 9 v batteries, the size means it's a big lump.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:14 AM   #11
Major Player

Another vote here for a battery powered shotgun mic.

I use a Rode NTG2. It has the option of inserting a single AA cell into the barrel and then phantom power is not required. That is what I always do. I like that it uses AA's as that matches most of my other accessories so cell management is easier.

The shotgun mic itself acts as a second diversity aerial with the Sennheiser G3 transmitter therefore potentially improving the G3's performance.

I've found that the NTG2 with its foamy plus a fury is good outside in a breeze as well.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio