line to mic (hi-z to lo-z) adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Major Player

line to mic (hi-z to lo-z) adapter?

Just got a FDR-AX100 camcorder. The audio input is for 'mics' and after testing I can verify that while it has a pretty wide input adjustment range, the expected distortion from a line level signal can happen real fast with this input. Anyone know of a slick, under $200 solution for a stereo transforming adapter. Keep in mind that Beachtek and similar devices nearly all output line level. I need the opposite, to go from line to mic level, preferably to a stereo 1/8" trs plug. Right now I'm looking at the Samson S direct box and th Ebtech Line Level Shifter. Any cool device I'm missing?
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: line to mic (hi-z to lo-z) adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof View Post
Keep in mind that Beachtek and similar devices nearly all output line level. I need the opposite, to go from line to mic level, preferably to a stereo 1/8" trs plug. Right now I'm looking at the Samson S direct box and th Ebtech Line Level Shifter. Any cool device I'm missing?
Every Beachtek product I have ever seen outputs mic level. Dunno where you got the idea that they "nearly all output line level"?

You did not identify where/what your line-level signal is coming FROM? Do you also need transformer isolation along with attenuation? The Rolls DB-25 is my favorite little box for combining isolation along with line-to-mic attenuation.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, where/what your line-level signal is coming from?
The cheapest is a simple attenuation cable, about $10 in parts.. of course some soldering skills would be needed. Wouldn't be transformer isolated though, if that's a requirement.
"The Rolls DB-25 is my favorite little box for combining isolation along with line-to-mic attenuation"
> Same here. It has a ground lift and a 0-20-40dB pad switch as well. The 'B' series has variable attenuation. The balanced output is easily converted to unbalanced. It's a single channel though..again.. where/what your line-level signal is coming from?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof View Post
I need the opposite, to go from line to mic level, preferably to a stereo 1/8" trs plug.
What you're looking for is called a "pad". Something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/287412-REG/Remote_Audio_CAFPTPAD_Stereo_1_8_Mini_Output.html.

That said, you probably don't need even that. The Beachtech equipment will almost always output a mic level signal -- most of it is designed to work the DLSRs, which only take mic level signals. Only use a pad if you really need it.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Major Player

My Bad, I mis-read specs on one of the Beachteks and assumed that like my little Behringer Eurorack mixer, (where the signal is coming from), that the Beachteks sent out line level. Also looking at the Samson-S stereo DI and the Ebtech Line Level Shifter. Sorry for the sloppy first post. The Rolls looks like a good, inexpensive option and I'm glad it performs well.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The Samson stereo DI may be a good option> two channels and active, (preferable for musical instruments). Though I haven't used one, so an uncertain candidate for line level (to mic) applications.
FWIW, I prefer the Countryman Type-85 DI for acoustic-electric guitars.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Trustee

The Ebtech Line Level shifter is a fine device, but not for what you want. It is a bi-directional +4db to-and-from -10db line-only level shifter. It has transformer isolation and also converts bi-directionally from balanced to unbalanced. I use several of them, but they don't have anything to do with mic level signals.

You really need a BeachTek-type device. It easily mounts under the camera and also has provision to defeat the Plug-In-Power on your camera's mic jack. If you make or buy a simple pad, it would also need to be constructed to defeat this voltage. Otherwise it will cause substantial noise problems, especially if the 3.5mm plug is moved or tugged.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio