Wind Protection For Sennheiser ME2 Lavs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Wind Protection For Sennheiser ME2 Lavs

Can anyone recommend any extra wind protection specifically fitting Sennheiser ME2 lavs, preferably a UK source.

I already have the stock windshields on my three ME2's:

Sennheiser ME2 Windshield - Lavalier mics - Audio - Production Gear Ltd - Broadcast and Professional Cameras & Accessories

but I'm looking for something extra, hairy probably.

Thanks.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Wind Protection For Sennheiser ME2 Lavs

Rycote (a UK company) arguably makes 'the best' windscreens (and shock mounts). Most of the usual suspect location audio shops on both sides of the pond would have or can get them. Don't know if they sell direct.
BTW, replace the mics as well, the ME2 ain't that great. You can thank me later.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Rick. I Googled and Googled but all I was coming up with were foamies. I should have thought of Rycote as I already have some of their hairies for other mics.

I hear what you say about the ME2's but my main commercial business is weddings and frankly there are so many factors outside my control that compromise audio quality that its not really worth spending more to go from a mid-range lav to high end. For example at a ceremony earlier this week the temperature outside was 30C+ and inside the room it was hot and stuffy. There was a big rapid rotating ceiling fan directly over the bride groom and celebrant blowing air downwards. It was also noisy and no doubt causing 50mhz interference as well. I had a lav secreted on a lectern just inches away from all three of them but needless to say it sounds like it was in a wind tunnel :- ( Soooo disappointing. There was zero chance of getting the fan turned off for the ceremony as the room conditions were so unpleasant. I actually got better audio from my NTG2 on my main cam several feet away as it didn't suffer the downdraft from the fan. Even when there are more benign recording conditions there is seldom enough time available to test and tweak properly. That is the nature of the wedding beast but fortunately few wedding clients are looking for pristine audio - its much more about capturing the emotion and with acceptable audio. Thats my excuse anyway :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Mounting a lav upside-down or opposite the wind source is common for avoiding plosives and such. The difference in sound is negligible due to the omni pattern. It may 'appear' a little odd to some folks though,

In case you haven't found them: Rycote Windjammers, lavalier
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Cheers Rick, I ordered a pair of the Windjammers in black. I found a very helpful page on the Rycote site which gave compatibility information for lots of different lavs.

I wouldn't anticipate using these on clients for weddings - looks like they are holding a kitten :- ) But when I hide a lav in the rafters of a gazebo for outdoor ceremonies they look ideal. I've seen them in use on reporters and on participants in the BBC's prestigious Antiques Roadshow which is usually filmed outside.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio