DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   New sound bag reccomendation? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/524378-new-sound-bag-reccomendation.html)

Bruce S. Yarock August 3rd, 2014 05:45 PM

New sound bag reccomendation?

I both shoot and do sound. Most of the audio I did is sit down and standing interviews,etc.
I've been using one of those Home Depot silver cases for 10 years, and guess I got plenty out of the $20 I originally paid.
More important than carrying a mixer ( have a sd302) is the need to have enough space for most of my gear.
I carry a few hand held mics and wireless plugs
2 senn wireless
Some other mics for location
Tascam dr 100 mixer and power supply
Set of phones
Little tool kit
Batteries
A couple of Sony wired lavs (44b's)
A zep (occasionally)
Other misc stuff.
So more than a bag to hang for doing sound, I need something that will carry most of what I might need at any time.
The petrol 602 looks nice
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock August 3rd, 2014 06:48 PM

Re: New sound bag reccomendation?

I just found the Pelican 1527 bag with dividers, for $83!. Fits into a pelican 1520 hard case, if needed.
Anyone have one?
Bruce Yarock

Rick Reineke August 4th, 2014 08:51 AM

I (curently) have a Petrol Earonizer.. normally a mixer, recorder, six wireless, receivers, IFB transmitter and battery system, but no way can it carry 'all' the peripheral gear as well. I use a Pelican 1520 and a few other smaller cases for the IFB recievers/HPs, spare gear and such.
The 'new' K-Tec and Orca bags are worth looking at. In addition, PortaBrace has stepped up their audio-bag offerings with updated designs and more options.

Steven Digges August 4th, 2014 02:35 PM

I have the ancient and classic (can't find a model number) big PortaBrace audio guy boxy bag with an additional bag attached to one side of it. After all these years I am still not sure I have discovered every secret hole in it for cable routing. It is probably the only dedicated audio bag I will ever buy.

Throw some XLR on the piggin strips and I look like I know as much about audio as Rick. I don't, so I need all the help I can get!

Steve

Bruce S. Yarock August 4th, 2014 07:54 PM

I wasn't sure what to get, so I ordered a pelican 1527 bag for the time being. It also fits right into a pelican 1520, when needed. I also have several pelicans , one of which I could empty and use for additional audio gear.
I've had a good size Portabrace bag which has carried my Canon xl2, then xlh1, and in the last few years, my Sony fs100 with lenses and all kinds of other gear. I'd like to get one of the larger Portabrace bags mentioned for audio gear but not sure which.
Thanks for the info.
Bruce Yarock

Steven Digges August 4th, 2014 10:54 PM

Bruce,

Here is my take on this. When it comes to bags and cases I am a bit of a nut case. I have more than I need. I have a bag or case for every situation. Why? I have local jobs, but lots of road jobs. At one point I had to ship anvil cases of gear motor freight on a regular basis, that is a nightmare scenario at best, but it taught me a lot. I am into bags and cases.

Here is a tip that MAY be worth looking into. Kata bags. They recently sold out to Manfrotto, that company does not appear to be keeping much of the Kata line alive at all. At the moment, I have seen some of Kata bags on ridiculously low close out prices, all the way up to full MSRP, if someone has it. Search for it. If you can find a Kata audio bag for closeout price it is probably a good deal on a good bag. I don’t even know if they made a GOOD audio bag, but I have picked up some great products of theirs for 1/3 or less of MSRP.

I used to buy PortaBrace bags and that was it.. If they made it I bought it. Not that way anymore. The extra cost is worth it, a PortaBrace bag will outlast others in years of service, I am still a fan. But, I was attracted because of the innovation and attention to detail and cool features (yes even on a bag) but now they seem like the old slow industry standard that needs to catch up.

Do a search for Kata Audio bags and maybe you will get lucky and find a deal.

Steve

Bruce S. Yarock August 5th, 2014 09:15 PM

Thanks, Steve. I'll look around for a deal on a Kata.
Like you, I have cases for different situations, but haven't wanted to drag my audio gear around in a big Pelican case, for local gigs. So I'll check out the Pelican 1527 I just ordered .
If I were strictly a location sound guy, I'd probably get one of the new Orca audio cases. Very innovative.
Bruce Yarock

Rick Reineke August 6th, 2014 10:14 AM

Some may be confused over the terms 'bag' and 'case'. In the production sound for film world, a 'bag' normally attaches to a worn harness which contains the sound mixer's immediate working gear, i.e. mixer, recorder, receivers, battery system, extra transmitters/lav mics and other readily available odds & ends. A 'case' on the other hand (hard or soft), contains the gear whilst traveling from location to location and/or gear not normally needed at the 'immediate' moment.
Confused yet?

Bruce S. Yarock August 7th, 2014 03:51 PM

I got the pelican 1527 yesterday . It was cheap enough and has partitions and dividers. I couldn't fit everything in it , but it's nice, organized and very portable.
Fits the following:
2 wireless sets
2 sm 58 mics
2 wireless plugs for hand held mics
1 sony wired lav in it's's case
1 small box with Oktava with 3 capsules
1- a tascam dr 100 recorder plus Ac adapter
1-Tascam dr 50 recorder
1- tool bag
1- rode video mic
1- Sony shotgun for my fs100
1-plastic bag with misc stuff
Weighs 17 lbs loaded

No room for
Phones
Xlr cables
Zep with akg shotgun
Furry mic covers
Sd 302
Etc.
Bruce Yarock

Steven Digges August 7th, 2014 05:40 PM

Bruce,

Porta Brace makes these. They clip onto the outside of any bag with a place to clip something on it. They are perfect for keeping your coiled XLR handy and on the outside of your bag. It can get too dirty to keep on the inside of that nice Pelican you just picked up. These are worth every penny.

piggin staps | B&H Photo Video

Steve

Bruce S. Yarock August 7th, 2014 10:09 PM

Thanks, Steven. I'll order a few.
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock August 7th, 2014 10:12 PM

There are four different versions. Which ones do you reccOmend?
Bruce Yarock

Rick Reineke August 8th, 2014 09:15 AM

I've been using Piggin Strings since 1990, to temporarily hold headphones and cables to my bag or cart. The 6" work good for the headphones (7506) and are large enough to securely hold a 25' mic cable (Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad)