Soldering iron equipment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 11th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Soldering iron equipment

I didn't realize Snap-on made small electronic tools. I think of them as something my mechanic uses to work on my vehicles.

Here in the states, Xcelite and Klein are very good brands for electronic tools. Craftsman (sold by Sears) used to have a lifetime warranty on hand tools, but I don't know if that still applies. Weller for soldering equipment. Kester for solder. Eutectic point solder (63/37) has the lowest possible melting point for a tin/lead combination, this is good for electronic work since the lower temperature is less likely to damage insulation and connectors. (60/40 performs significantly the same.)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
I don't file the tips if I can possibly avoid it. Some tips are plated and once you get through the plating down to the base metal, then the tip will corrode and pit.
Agreed! Leave the tip plated with solder as the protective layer.

Quote:
Start with a clean tip, turn on the heat,
Insert...
* Let it heat up.
* Wipe tip on wet sponge to remove corrosion, and then...

Quote:
put a dab of fresh solder on the tip. After the solder melts, put the tip w/ solder against the wires, and the solder will conduct the heat to the wires...
Also, I agree that no additional flux is required. I never use the stuff. Good solder already includes flux.

After each application, tap the iron on a hard surface to remove excess solder. Wipe the iron on a wet sponge to remove excess flux, corrosion, and any melted plastic that might have gotten on the tip. Re-tin the tip, if necessary and repeat the tapping and wiping. Next, you can add another dab to solder a new connection or turn the iron off with the tip tinned and clean.

If necessary, you can flood a hot tip with solder to help clean it (with the additional, included flux). Good heat transfer is all about having the tip-solder-wire connection direct and clean.
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Trustee

Most modern tips are iron-plated and are ruined by filing or sanding.
Some people even claim that sharp-edge brass filings "sponge" things will harm the plating.
Aven 17530-TC Soft Coiled Brass Tip Cleaner: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

IME, it is better to leave the tip "dirty" in between uses (including powering down).
The extra solder layer on the tip protects it between uses.

Then simply clean it off with a damp sponge just before you use it.
I have even used wet paper towel in a pinch out in the wild.

And I have found it indispensible to put a tiny dab of new solder on the tip just to ensure a good heat transfer to whatever you are soldering.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #19
Inner Circle

In my case, I clean the tip with the wet sponge, but I leave a good layer of clean solder on. And I never, ever file it. I've owned my Weller iron for nearly 30 years. Sometimes I use it a bunch. (I recently replaced all the wires in my Daughter's guitar - the Epiphone WildKat uses crummy high capacitance wires that eat treble.) and at other times it might sit idle for a couple of years. I still use the original tip and it still works like new. Yeah, the overall kit is a bit ugly after all these years, but as long as you get a clean, solid tin on the tip, you're good to go. :)
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I have even used wet paper towel in a pinch out in the wild.
That wasn't "the wild." In the wild, I wipe it on my jeans.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio