Capturing vows with wireless, techniques? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing vows with wireless, techniques?

Currently capturing vows with wireless on a Sony FX1000, Beachtek mounted under so volume knobs facing me, the operator. Using closed cell powered headphones, I typically stay with shotgun until time for vows/rings, and I adjust on the fly. Perhaps not ideal, but works well for most situations.
New camera arrives today, Sony NX30 with built in XLR adapter, however the volume knobs are mounted on top handle, face left, and are pretty small. I am thinking it will be a LOT harder to make my adjustments on the fly! It seems my NLE (Corel VideoStudioPro) does not provide an option to split the audio channels.

Anyone have a similar setup and found a miracle solution? I know and love my NLE and anguish the thought of learning and moving on to a new one, but I am considering all options.

Thanks all!
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Capturing vows with wireless, techniques?

You can split the tracks in the free software Audacity:

Audacity - Track Pop-Down Menu

Might get tedious if you have to go to Audacity all the time though.

My NLE is Sony Vegas Pro and in that it is simple matter of duplicating the track and then right clicking and selecting left or right channel. The way I have my main cam set up means that the left channel is the Sennheiser G3 wireless receiver and the right channel is the NTG2 shotgun mic. Sony automatically outputs the selected channel to both left and right speakers be it the left channel or the right channel; that used to confuse me but its very convenient :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Trustee

100% what Peter said.

I've stopped using the wireless mics for the grooms. My only one is now my feed from the mixing board or on the pastor.

Doing left/right splitting just adds more work for me and I like the safety of the pocket recorder for the vows. Especially since I only want the vows/rings itself with the groom's voice. Too many coughs, sniffs, etc. end up in my footage if I use the wireless.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, every time I do something for the first time my palms sweat, but I will be trying the digital recorder with lav on groom. I like the idea that its a bit of a "set it and forget it" plan, no more on the fly stuff. I was constantly trying to adjust volumes levels for same reasons, trying to avoid all the extra groom noises!
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio