Rewiring 5 pin stereo mic for dual 3 pin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 28th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Rewiring 5 pin stereo mic for dual 3 pin

I just purchased a Sony X70 camera with 2 3 pin XLR inputs. I already have an old Panasonic AJ-MC900 5 pin stereo microphone from a Varicam, and I wish to use this on my new Sony. I would like to desolder the 5 pin connector and replace it with a twin 3 pin set-up.

Do I just send right and left to each new connector, and they both share the 5th pin? Pin 1 is ground, 2 is CH1 (L) hot, 4 is CH2 (R) hot?

The microphone is a handy size, and has a stereo/mono switch on it, so I think this would be a good mic for a small Handycam size camcorder......and I already own the damn thing.

Thanks!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Rewiring 5 pin stereo mic for dual 3 pin

I rewired a Sony 5-pin stereo mic from a F350.
It's kind of a 5-pin version of the ECM-MS2.

I simply bought a premade 5pin-to-2x3pin cable and desoldered the 5-pin connector, opened the mic and desoldered the 5pin-cables from it and soldered the 2x3pin cable into it instead.
I had to fiddle a bit with the 2x3 cable though as it was thicker then the original one.

I saved this conf from this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post764485

Pin 1 - analog ground
Pin 2 - Channel 1 (x) Audio Out
Pin 3 - Channel 1 (y) Audio Out
Pin 4 - Channel 2 (x) Audio Out
Pin 5 - Channel 2 (y) Audio Out

But I think I did not need it as it was a pretty easy operation.
Petter Flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Rewiring 5 pin stereo mic for dual 3 pin

Thanks Peter. I just remembered I have a 5pin out to two 3 pin XLR breakout dongle which I used for the same Varicam's back end audio output terminal. I guess I can just use that as is until I get around to bonding it to the mic end cable. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio