Best way to collect audio indoors with a group of people at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to collect audio indoors with a group of people

I have a project coming up where I will be filming indoors with a small group of people typically between 5-8 in a large but contained indoor space.

I film with DSLRs and normally use my Zooms for and video mic for audio collection. However for this project I think I will have to hire better equipment to collect the audio.

What would be the best way to collect audio in this situation. Boom? Shotgun or lav's on everyone??
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best way to collect audio indoors with a group of people

IMHO, the "best" way would be to put a wireless lav on each subject and record to an 8-track recorder. But we don't know if this is practical because you didn't reveal your resources (budget, time, personnel, gear).
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the response...As I would be hiring the audio equipment budget shouldn't be a problem as it would be a one or two day rental.

I'm not sure if putting a lav on everyone would work for the whole group as one person will be changing outfits and for obvious reasons this be difficult with a lav and two others will be moving around a fair bit... but half of the group would be seated and not moving around much so maybe it would work with that part of the group.

I've never used an 8 track recorder I assume it records up to 8 lav's at a time. I think my partner actually has one of these for recording music??? I'll have to look into that.

also I would ideally like to have two people filming and one on auido...as I mentioned I plan on using DSLRs to film.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Trustee

It helps to have those kinds of details, especially the limiting factors.

If the people who are seated aren't moving around, then they probably don't need wireless, and that would simplify the complexity and reduce the required budget.

Unless you have ANOTHER EXPERIENCED crew member with a boom microphone, it isn't clear how you will cover the person changing costume? The "two others moving around a fair bit" are prime candidates for wireless clip-on lav mics.

Trying to do all that with ONE audio person with limited experience is a setup for failure.

I have assumed that you are simply recording the proceedings and will edit everything later, so you can handle the audio MIXING after the fact in post-production. If you have to MIX the audio in real-time, you are in way over your head.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

If budget is not an issue, hire an experienced professional audio person. Based on your questions, you are defiantly in over your head.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio