DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NT 1A toast? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/525211-rode-nt-1a-toast.html)

Steven Digges October 2nd, 2014 05:13 PM

Rode NT 1A toast?

My Rode NT 1A is dropping out intermittently. I tried it on three different mixers to be sure it is not a phantom power issue on that side and it is not. I isolated everything, it is the mic. The mike works and then it stops and then it comes back again. This happens every few minutes or every few seconds. I have had for several years so no warranty would be in place. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it now a cool paper weight? Is it worth the cost of a repair? Just thought I would throw this out there in case someone has a suggestion for me.

Steve

Brian P. Reynolds October 2nd, 2014 05:20 PM

Re: Rode NT 1A toast?

Contact the 'MotherShip'..... they seem very helpful on the occasions I have contacted them.

Jim Michael October 2nd, 2014 06:48 PM

I thought they had a 10 year warranty?

Andrew Smith October 3rd, 2014 04:46 AM

Even when it has run out of warranty, Rode still cares.

Andrew

Jay Massengill October 3rd, 2014 06:43 AM

Phoenix has had a ton of rain lately, I would take steps to insure the mic has no buildup of humidity from having been moved from inside air conditioned coolness to outside warm and moist and then back inside again. I would get some real dessicate packs (as opposed to the bag of rice trick, which can be dusty and get on the diaphragm) and thoroughly dry it.

You mentioned changing mixers and I assume you've tried several different mic cables too. Usually though with phantom power and a bad or intermittent cable you get lots of loud noises rather than just a loss of sound.

Rode does have a good customer service reputation. Good luck with it!

Steven Digges October 3rd, 2014 09:13 AM

Thanks guys.

It is just out of warranty on the registration site. Bad part is that was a random date I picked when I registered it because I don't have the receipt. I can't imagine having it for ten years.

It has not left the office this month to get exposed to weather. It does go on a boom once in a while but it is primarily my VO mic. I am going to send it in and see what happens. It has been a very good mic.

Steve

Andrew Smith October 3rd, 2014 09:32 AM

Don't worry about it being 'just out of warranty'. Rode will still look after you.

Contact them.

Andrew

Christian Hagelskjaer From October 25th, 2014 12:35 PM

Steve; I actually had a presumed-dead NT2 spring back to life a loong time later. Supposedly due to moisture build-up in the capsule itself somehow. It wasn't intermittent before that though - it was completely dead. But there is hope yet...

Steven Digges October 25th, 2014 06:46 PM

Cool, but this one is still bad. It is going back to the mother ship when I get time to deal with it.

Steve