DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tascam DR-10 Micro Linear PCM recorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/525345-tascam-dr-10-micro-linear-pcm-recorders.html)

Rick Reineke October 10th, 2014 10:41 AM

Tascam DR-10 Micro Linear PCM recorders

Tascam DR-10 Micro Linear PCM recorders. Available for a variety of wireless type input connectors. TA5/4/3, 3.5mm, ect. I don't think they are available with Phantom Prw. though.
Stay tuned
Tascam DR-10X
http://tascam.com/product/dr-10x/

Tascam DR-10C
http://tascam.com/product/dr-10c/

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...6&e=244bc0cce0

Jay Massengill October 11th, 2014 10:53 AM

Re: Tascam DR-10 Micro Linear PCM recorders

The DR-10CL looks interesting as I have a nice Countryman B3 wired for Lectro and nothing useful currently to hook it to.

Any word on the likely street price of these recorders?

Most Lectro lav to XLR phantom power adapters are over $100 so that would be my other choice to use with this currently idle mic. I already have plenty of wired lavs, so this direct to recorder solution would be helpful if the preamps are clean.

Jay Massengill November 19th, 2014 09:11 AM

I'm not sure if this is an error. I had previously clicked on the link to be notified by B&H when the DR-10CL became available. Today I received a notice instead that it had been discontinued. Anyone else heard news about these lavalier mic recorders?

Justin Ferar November 19th, 2014 11:51 AM

Tascam's website reads "Not available in the US". That goes for all of these new models.

What a bummer! Not sure what's going on but the guys at Juiced Link must be happy about this!

Alex Harper November 20th, 2014 11:46 AM

What is the chances that Sennheiser & Lectrosonics is taking legal action against them for using their connectors?

Rick Reineke November 20th, 2014 12:35 PM

Neither the locking 3.5mm or the mini XLR (Switchcraft TA) connectors are made or were designed by the wireless system manufacturer and I have no idea what the legal infringement issues are specifically. It's rumored, Zaxcom may have something to do with it., and they mostly use Lemo connectors.

Kyle Root November 20th, 2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 1868214)
Tascam's website reads "Not available in the US". That goes for all of these new models.

What a bummer! Not sure what's going on but the guys at Juiced Link must be happy about this!

Yeah man. I was looking at picking a few of these up and getting rid of my Sennheiser G3s.

Karl Winkler November 21st, 2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Harper (Post 1868340)
What is the chances that Sennheiser & Lectrosonics is taking legal action against them for using their connectors?

Zero chance. We actually embrace this idea as it would be very helpful for our users to have a backup in extreme conditions.

Sabyasachi Patra November 22nd, 2014 10:10 AM

I wonder if the DR-10x provides phantom power.

Rick Reineke November 22nd, 2014 11:03 AM

"I wonder if the DR-10x provides phantom power"
- Don't know for sure but I highly doubt it.
Two clues: the specs don't mention Phantom Power and it's powered by a single AAA battery.

Greg Miller November 22nd, 2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1868557)
Two clues: the specs don't mention Phantom Power and it's powered by a single AAA battery.

Recording time: 8 hours, or 7 seconds with phantom power engaged. ;-)

---

Actually, if you read the spec. sheet, the first line under "Features" says:
"... mounts directly to dynamic microphone (it also can use condenser microphone powered by battery)."

That's pretty clear to me. No phantom.

Rick Reineke November 23rd, 2014 09:44 AM

"XLR jack mounts directly to dynamic microphone (It also can use condenser microphone powered by battery)"
> Indeed Greg, that would indicate.. NO PHANTOM POWER

Andy Wilkinson January 24th, 2015 03:09 AM

I stumbled on a good review of this unit, Tascam DR-10X, on the (DLSR)Newsshooter website - and got pretty interested in buying one (about £175 + VAT here in the UK). It has some great (nay, necessary) features for unmonitored audio recording such as the ability to record at two different levels simultaneously.

Then I realised that it won't output phantom power which makes it pretty much useless for all the mics I have... Then I did a quick search on here to see what others thought.

Wonder if they will ever launch a slightly larger variant with phantom power?

Rick Reineke January 24th, 2015 09:52 AM

Allegedly it will pass PP from the primary preamp device, for instance, a wireless transmitter. It was primarily designed for wireless back-up purposes.. hence the US legal issues.. I've read it's something to do with Zaxcom .

Greg Miller January 25th, 2015 01:15 PM

To make some rough estimates, let's say the phantom supply needs to provide 48Vdc at 10mA. That's ~ 0.5 VA. We want to obtain that power from a solid-state voltage converter and a AAA cell (to match the cell already used in the DR-10).

A typical 1.2V NiMH AAA cell has a capacity of 0.8 A-Hr. That means the cell capacity is ~ 1.0 VA-Hr. At first glance you might think this would power the mic for a maximum of 2 hrs. However, we'd better assume some efficiency factor, so let's estimate 75%. So perhaps one AAA cell (in addition to the existing cell for the recorder) could power the mic for 1-1/2 hrs.

If you want to extend the recording time to 7 hrs, to match the recording time w/o phantom, then you'd need four or five AAA cells, in addition to the cell that runs the recorder. That starts to make the thing pretty bulky and unwieldy. (Of course you don't need to use different cells for the phantom, but the total current requirement is same, so the total number of cells stays the same.)

I'm guessing that Tascam has assumed these will mostly be used for interview situations. Given that there are a number of quite acceptable dynamic interview mics, they probably feel there would be limited demand for a bigger, more expensive unit that provides phantom power.