Help removing plastic bag in audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help removing plastic bag in audio

Hi,

Wedding was indoors then moved to outdoors at the last moment, forgot to setup Zoon H4N recorder and my primary audio turned out terrible because I had a bag on the camera to prevent rain.

Any suggestions how to remove the plastic bag wrinkle noise (attached a .wav file) from the audio?

Use adobe premiere, have access to other adobe suite programs for audio.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: wav plastic in audio.wav (977.6 KB, 163 views)
Stefan Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Help removing plastic bag in audio

That noise seems to be fairly broadband, and louder than the desired audio. In addition to the "crackle" sound which has a lot of HF component, there is the LF sound of wind buffeting the bag. Neither one has a specific frequency signature that would be easy to attack.

I suppose if you had an audio sample of just the noise, with no desired audio, you could try an adaptive filter such as the "Noise Reduction" filter in Audition. But those filters are really designed to remove background noise, whereas your noise is very much foreground. I can't imagine anything that would reduce it to the point of being unobtrusive.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for your reply.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You could try a spectral repair application. iZOtope Rx or SCS SpectraLayers Pro for example. It would be tedious and time consuming for sure.
OTOH, a vinyl click/crackle remover utility may help to some degree.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Rick, I tried a few different click/pop tools, but didn't mention it earlier since they weren't really successful. They did remove some, but not nearly all, of the plastic "crackle" noise.

There's a bigger problem, too. Apparently some sort of AGC was engaged, and as the buffeting wind creates a lot of LF energy, I hear the gain of the music pumping up and down. (It's not immediately obvious, since this audio sample is so short, but if you listen a few times you'll undoubtedly hear it.) So even if we could magically remove all of the crackle, and filter out all of the LF wind buffeting, we'd be left with "desired audio" that is rapidly pumping up and down in level.

Maybe in 50 years we will be looking at files like this as something trivial (just as we now consider motor noise, harmonic buzz, wow & flutter, as rather trivial today). But I will get down and kiss the feet of anyone who can turn this into a useable file today ... without hours and hours of manual adjustments.
Old October 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

Can't think of any automatic fixer.

A couple possibilities - in most cases rather time consuming:
If any of the music was prerecorded, overdub those portions.
Would the participants be available to voice over their portions (blame it on excessive wind)?

For the dialog portion, to counter the AGC pumping and at least some wind noise use the level rubber bands on the audio time line to manually adjust dialog and "noise gate" the quiet portions.
The low-cut/hi pass filter can help with some of the wind noise.
Selective application of noise reduiction only to problematic spots may help.
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Damn - this is awful!

I sort of savaged it in Izotope and got it to sound more like crappy sound with noise rather than noise with crappy sound, albeit crappy sound with noise occasionally sounding like it was under water.

Which just made the pumping more noticeable

+1 on the audio equivalent of the reshoot filter being the only thing that would really save it.for a paying customer

Do you know a keyboard person who could play the music while listening through headphones?? Lord knows what would become of any dialog though.

FWIW

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Izotoped.wav
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
For the dialog portion, to counter the AGC pumping and at least some wind noise use the level rubber bands on the audio time line to manually adjust dialog
But first you've got to get rid of all the broadband noise.

Quote:
The low-cut/hi pass filter can help with some of the wind noise.
Believe me, this was the first thing I tried. The result just sounds like wind and plastic through a telephone line. It does nothing to improve the S/N. And eventually you reach the point where the desired audio is unrecognizable.

Quote:
Would the participants be available to voice over their portions (blame it on excessive wind)?
ADR wedding vows. What's the world coming to?

You might get Woody Allen to dub it, ala What's Up Tiger Lily?

The only other solution is to use title cards.
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
I sort of savaged it in Izotope and got it to sound more like crappy sound with noise rather than noise with crappy sound, albeit crappy sound with noise occasionally sounding like it was under water.
That's better than I would have thought possible. Sounds like an Edison cylinder recording of a wedding, rather than a wedding with a volcanic eruption. My hat's off to you. No foot kissing, though, it's still not really useable. ;-)
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post

You might get Woody Allen to dub it, ala What's Up Tiger Lily?

The only other solution is to use title cards.

Title cards, nice touch :)

Thanks for your help guys, I'm looping the background music around the vows, I did take the bag off minutes into the ceremony so it's not a complete loss.
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:09 AM   #11
Wrangler

Subtitles for the ceremony? A great idea, especially if there are hearing impared people in either family.
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Trustee

I was joking about title cards, and hadn't thought of subtitles. But in seriousness, closed captioning could be beneficial. I wonder how many wedding videos are produced with this feature.
Old October 31st, 2014, 02:19 PM   #13
Inner Circle

@Gregg

Damn - I'll have to put my socks back on!!!!

I like the Edison cylinder analogy although the cylinder in this case seems to be a bit elliptical instead of round - that's what causes the pumping. Maybe it sat in the sun too long and the wax just sagged.

Subtitles for the vows - that would be neat. Convert the video to B&W, change it to 10 fps, add noise., print to film, scratch it up, walk on it, re-digitize.

Oh well - sorry I couldn't do better.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Trustee

Jim,

Your file really sounded surprisingly good. I wouldn't have thought that possible without a lot of manual tweaking along the way. No it is not crystal clear, it lacks "life" after all the NR, but at least the noise is beaten pretty well into submission.

I wonder how well you could clean up the dialog with the same process. If you got the dialog clean, and if the wedding music was pre-recorded, the OP could get the original music track, sync it up, and drop it in in place of the windbag track.

Nice job, Jim!

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada
I sort of savaged it in Izotope
Did you perhaps mean "salvaged"?
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:20 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Actually I did mean "Savaged"

I was running spectral repair and NR at strengths I wouldn't even dream of trying for any kind of quality result and just sort of hacking away with a digital machete so to speak.

It might be fun to see what would happen to the dialog if the OP could post a clip.

And thanks for the kind words - I really really like Izotope. I've had great luck with it - even once removed a horrendous noise (caused by a cellist hitting his chair leg with the instrument during a quartet performance) well enough that nobody could notice where it had been.

I have to admit that I'm not very scientific in my approach, I just hear something bad and go after it with whatever seems to make it sound better until I succeed or give up. I've found after using it for a couple of hundred hours that you can actually almost see the music by looking at the spectral display. Of course I know most of the pieces pretty well and usually have a full score handy while working.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio