zoom h4n for stage performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

zoom h4n for stage performance

Was Goin to put this mic on small stand on edge of the stage,will the quality be better than my boom mic on camera.fiming,dialogue,singing
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: zoom h4n for stage performance

Try both, playback and determine which one sounds better to you.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Major Player

I do a few stage performances a year. When you don't have an option to tap into the sound board for a feed, you're well served with a few small digital recorders close to the stage, and the on-camera mic as a scratch track. I use 3 H1 recorders when possible. Center stage, stage left and stage right. Then I can mix between them depending on the action. Oftentimes, center stage is where most important dialog occurs. If you find places to hide them among the non-moveable props, that is also a bonus. I use iRivers and a matchstick lav. Taped under the furniture, it's nearly invisible. Be aware that stage props might disappear...so use this with extreme caution (talk to the stage manager in advance, ask where most of the action will take place and what scene changes take place).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Trustee

There are too many variables to give a 100% definite answer.

In general, if both microphones are equal quality, if both sets of electronics are equal quality, if levels are set correctly (no clipping, no high noise floor), then the microphone that is closer to the sound source will probably sound more clear.

If you're recording a symphony orchestra, a mic on the floor behind (or next to) the conductor's podium will sound less natural than one that is roughly 20 feet back in the house and roughly 15 feet above the elevation of the stage floor. You want some distance to give you a better balance between the instruments, and you want a little reverberation from the hall.

OTOH that same mic (back 20 feet) will sound less clear for dialog from the stage. For dialog you want closer mic placement, less reverberation and noise from the hall.

No simple "one size fits all" answer. And the three "if" conditions in the second paragraph are extremely important, otherwise the results will be skewed.

So, since you leave all those questions unanswered, then as Mr. Reineke says, try it yourself and compare.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio