Initial impression of Sony UWP-D16 wireless set - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Initial impression of Sony UWP-D16 wireless set

Another happy UWP-D user here. I do have dropouts occasionally at large conventions with tens of thousands of attendees (and many camera crews), switching to another frequency solves the problem. I'm always impressed with the range, perfect audio from around 150 ft usually.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Well, as I said, my unit may have been defective. There is a local audio professional (local tv, HGTV, many freelance jobs in the Southeast) who is also a audio forum moderator at dvxuser.com. He helped me do the test. We tested in three locations, including one that was outside in a field totally line of sight. We tried a variety of different settings. The problems we had were not interference or static, but the sound would just begin cutting out 2-3 times in one sentence in every scenario we tried once we got past 40 feet or so.

I so wanted this to work out. I already have an older Sony wireless and we found the sound quality of the new UWP-D to be better. My friend judged that, unlike the older Sony, the audio quality was now on par with the Sennheisers. I could have reused a couple of third party lavs I already own. I really wanted the plugin transmitter that provided phantom power - which *did* work. And, I am considering buying a Sony X70 camera, which I believe has hot shoe connections that would let me use the receiver on-camera without a cable. And, I got it on sale from B&H for $675 instead of the usual $800.

But the one I had was not usable except in a small room line of sight. From what I read here, it sounds like the product should not be judged by mine. I would just recommend that anyone getting one should be sure to test its range and output levels carefully before the return period expires.

I ended up just keeping my Senn. G2 (got a Countryman B3 for it) and my old Sony, but based on all the other successful users if I ever see that sale again I may see if another sample works better for me.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #18
Trustee

I did have a problem yesterday when using the Sony set with my Canon XA10 camera. Apparently in all my previous testing and recording I had never encountered the following set of factors:

The receiver was actually mounted on the camera's shoe with the Sony bracket, AND the camera was recording instead of just in standby while I monitored the mic and transmitter.

I didn't have time to fully test the mounting bracket, but here is what I found so far:

There is a buzz that occurs in sync with the memory-access light when recording if the receiver is mounted on the camera. I didn't even have time to check if this gets recorded but I'm guessing it does.

The buzz still happens even if the receiver is turned off.

The buzz doesn't happen if the Sony cable is still connected to the camera's XLR input, but it's not connected to the receiver.

During previous recordings, I had the receiver hanging in a pouch on the tripod where it's easier to access.

I will test on Monday if I can isolate the Sony bracket from the camera shoe but still keep it mounted there for run-and-gun convenience.

I will also test the Sony set with my new XA20 camera for the same problem.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #19
Trustee

Jay,

That almost sounds like a small-scale ground loop. Do you see some sort of electrical connection between the shoe and the receiver? Or does the bracket provide electrical isolation / insulation?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #20
Trustee

That was my guess too, but I will have to check further on Monday. The Sony mount could certainly be the cause, it makes contact with metal in the camera shoe and uses the receiver's metal belt clip to make the physical connection to hold it in place.
I think I also previously used a generic mount that allowed me to keep the receiver vertical so I could see its screen. I'm sure that mount would have been electrically isolated by its materials and how it was holding the receiver with rubber padding.
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #21
Trustee

A replacement mount sounds like the perfect application for a 3-D plastic printer!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:16 PM   #22
Trustee

I checked the recording from Friday when the buzz in sync with the memory access light occurred. It was in the recording, although at a very low level. Almost lost in the ambient noise floor but I could detect it if listening closely with headphones.

I didn't get a chance to try isolating but still using the Sony mounting bracket. I'll report more results after Tuesday.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Is anyone powering the URX-P03 receiver via it's USB connection while on-camera? Are there any noise or hum issues?
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:44 PM   #24
Trustee

I haven't tried that yet, but I have a USB battery pack ready to test tomorrow when I try isolating the receiver mount from the camera shoe. I didn't get around to it today.
Old March 26th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I have two sets of UWP-D11/K21 and would like to put another mic on it and not the supplied mic!
Which mic would you recommend that is compatible with this Sony transmitter?!
Thanks
Old March 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #26
Major Player

You can use pretty much any microphone that can be wired for Sony wireless, and BTW the new models can use the same lavs as the older UWP Sony wireless models.

If you're on a mid-range budget, consider the Oscar Sound Tech lavs, especially the 802/801 models. Very good bang for the buck at approx. $125. For more $ and even better quality Countryman or Sanken are great.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #27
Major Player

I used the Sony UWP-D16, A Sennheiser 8060 with the plug on Sony Tx unit placed on a boom arm high on a plastic moulding machine. Worked brilliantly, to be used on a TVC.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 03:08 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,I'll look into these options. very useful info.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #29
Trustee

I still haven't had time to scientifically test and eliminate all potential paths of that "buzz in sync with the camera's card access light while recording" that I previously reported when using my Sony wireless system in some circumstances.

However in today's recording there was no problem. The main difference from before is that the other XLR input to the camera was NOT using phantom power this time.

Sometimes I have an AT875 phantom powered mic plugged into XLR #1.
Today instead I had the output of one of my 2.4GHz receivers plugged into #1 with phantom OFF.
The Sony was plugged into #2 (also of course with phantom OFF as always), and both channels were noise free.
Old November 18th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I got a Sony UWP D11 and did a couple of tests.

The first was a duration test using Panasonic Pro Eneloop NiMH batteries. These are rated at 2550 mAh. Both the receiver and transmitter were set to "Type 2 Battery" to match the NiMH batteries being used.

The receiver ran for 10 hrs, 18 min before giving a low battery warning.

The transmitter continued to run until it reached 14 hrs, 18 min before the battery warning came on.

I then did a range test. The receiver was allowed to scan for what it determined to be a clear frequency, then sync'd with the transmitter. The output of the transmitter was set to "high", for the full 30 mW signal.

I went to a distance of 110 yards before I got a single dropout. I might do another test to see how far it gets before the signal totally disappears. I should also do a test with the mic transmitter attached to someone's belt, with the transmitter shielded by the talent's body to simulate actual usage.

But as it stands, I'm very impressed by how long it runs and how far it can get a clean signal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio