Good sounding Shotgun mics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 25th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Good sounding Shotgun mics?

I am looking for a good shotgun mic for interviews. I would like to feed the mic into a Zoom H4n. I have noticed that some mics are powered by both battery and or phantom power. And some only phantom power. Are the ones that are powered strictly by phantom better? I was looking at the Rode ntg-1 which is phantom only. Any suggestions? I would like to stay under $250. Thanks in advance.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Good sounding Shotgun mics?

Sending phantom power from the H4n will reduce the battery life of the recorder, The Rode NTG1 is phantom power only, the Rode NTG2 is both phantom / battery powered but before you get your hopes up both of those mics have a fairly low audio output level and by raising the gain in the H4n will give you lots of hiss in your recordings.... so the Rode NTG1 / 2 are a bad combination with the H4n. There many posting on forums to verify this.

My suggestion is to either go up market a bit more for the mic or the recorder. (or both)
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually b and h is selling the tascam d 60 recode for only $100. Would that work well with the Rode ntg-1?
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Major Player

The Rode NTG 1 / 2 are a low output microphone and need good preamps to get the best results, a better mic like the NTG 3 or Sennheiser 416 will deliver MUCH better results.

I have never used the Tascam recorders but there are many reviews on this / and other forums.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Have a listen to the Audio Technica AT875R I always prefer it to the NTG1&2, phantom power only but a good strong signal and ideal as a general purpose short shotgun for inside and out.

I also use mine with a rode PG2 grip and a W/S softie.
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Major Player

...and for Black Friday deals B&H has the AT 875r on sale for $129 - just ordered one as a backup to and alternative to my AT 4053b.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio