VidPro XM-55 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Tourist

VidPro XM-55 question

Anyone out there own the VidPro XM-55 shotgun mic kit?

Recently picked one up at a killer cost but seems that the phantom power doesnt work.....tons of white noise. B&H tells me that the mic doesnt do phantom even though it says phantom power right on the mic. I contacted VidPro and they got back to me and seem to indicate that it DOES. Still working on a solution.

Anyone using one of these mics that can verify for sure one way or the other?

Thanks in advance!
Dave Zavetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: VidPro XM-55 question

From the limited information available, "Power= 1 x AA alkaline battery". I would suspect Phantom Power is not an option, and can typically only be delivered via an XLR>XLR cable. Many folks confuse the term Phantom Pwr. with any kind of 'powered' mic. Nothing wrong with a AA battery powered mic, if that's the voltage it was designed for.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Dave,

Rick is right, as far as he goes. To expand a little on his comments:

Unless we know what you are using to record the signal from the mic, what cables / connectors / adaptors you're using, etc., it's pretty hard to diagnose your problem.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Trustee

There is ZERO credible evidence that microphone operates on ANYTHING other than an internal AA battery. Remember that most "descriptions" for such dirt-cheap mass-market consumer goods like that were written by copy-writers who were describing the details of sports shoes this morning, and motorcycle parts yesterday. And they were probably flipping hamburgers last week.

That is a re-branding of the infamous super-cheap "HTDZ HT-320A" "shotgun" microphone. They can be found currently on Ebay for $25. With the kit of accessories, etc. $100 isn't a terrible price, you could probably do better by careful shopping, but perhaps not as convenient as buying the kit already assembled.

That mic is probably better than the microphone built into most camcorders, but not much. At least it gets the microphone OFF the camera (if you don't use that silly shoe-mount). Of course ON THE CAMERA is quite possibly the WORST place for a microphone for most situations.

There are some "demonstrations" and "unboxings" and and even "reviews" of the HTDZ HT-320A on YouTube. But I couldn't give ANY of them a rating of more than 1 star (out of 10). They were done by individuals who appear to know nothing about microphones or audio in general, but have the chutzpah to demonstrate their complete ignorance to thousands of YouTube viewers..

If you actually want to see whether your mic works (and how good or bad) then PUT A BATTERY IN IT! If you are still getting no sound, then document exactly what the conditions are (what cables, adapters, recorder/camera etc. etc.) Without such pertinent details, we can offer only our sympathy.

Yes, I actually bought one just to see how good/bad it is. No it does NOT operate on phantom power. YES, it requires a battery.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Indeed, the specs are amazingly uninformative. For example, they state that the connector is XLR, but do not state whether the output is balanced or unbalanced. Not knowing that, not knowing how their XLR adapter cables are wired, and not knowing what camera / recorder the OP is using, one can only guess what number of problems might be accumulating.

Having heard from Sir Crowley that it does NOT work with phantom is the most factual information we've seen to date. That should at least get the OP started in the right direction, even if it does not solve and the possible problems.

I must say that the HT-320A seems to be a very unique microphone. An eBay listing describes it as "uni-ulter-directional, high sensibility, and with good frequency respondency" Those are terms I've never even heard before ... I guess I'm just not up on the current technology.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio