DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode's new wireless system - the heavens have surely opened (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/526531-rodes-new-wireless-system-heavens-have-surely-opened.html)

Andrew Smith January 21st, 2015 10:06 AM

Rode's new wireless system - the heavens have surely opened

Need to buy new gear because of the changes in frequencies world wide? Rode have just released a product that meets the new requirements, and then some. Those clever fellas have given us an encrypted fully digital audio transmission pack which uses frequency in the 2.4Ghz range.

That's right. They're using the WiFi frequency range (and possibly the standard) to transmit digital audio back to your camera. As WiFi frequencies are rather unlikely to be changed around, this means we'll never have to throw out perfectly good lav kits ever again.

I so want one already.

More at: http://www.dvinfo.net/news/rode-brea...-launches.html

Andrew

Colin McDonald January 21st, 2015 11:42 AM

Re: Rode's new wireless system - the heavens have surely opened

I hope it happens. I was disappointed when the VideoMic HD didn't make it to market, but that's about their only announced product I can think of which didn't appear after being announced.

Can't seem to get the link for the lav mic details to work. From the photos, the new RodeLink appears to use a TRRS connector for the mic - I do hope there will be adaptors made available to use lavs with other connectors. The SC4 adaptor will probably not be wired correctly to take Sennheiser mics like the MKE 2 Gold.

EDIT: Found some information on the RØDE Microphones - RØDELink Filmmaker Kit link but am still confused about connectors - under "Transmitter" it lists a
"locking TRS output". Is that meant to be "input" I wonder?

Don Palomaki January 21st, 2015 01:35 PM

100M range sounds good!
Any indication of the price point?
Wonder if they plan a handheld transmitter (XLR with some level of phantom power)?

Marco Leavitt January 21st, 2015 01:50 PM

doesn't AT have a similar product using the same technology?

Gary Huff January 21st, 2015 03:17 PM

This is something I am definitely interested in. Hope it does work with the typical Sennheiser connection.

Rick Reineke January 21st, 2015 05:27 PM

B&H has a presale price of $399 . The Rode lav by itself is over $200. (if it's the same one)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115091-REG/rode_rodlnk_fm_rodelink_wireless_filmmaker_kit.html
The extreme low price brings out the skeptic in me.. as usual. I wouldn't sell the Lectros or G3s just yet.

I doubt the Sennheiser wiring is compatible.

Richard Crowley January 21st, 2015 05:29 PM

I just posted a 22-point feature-comparison between the A-T System 10 and the RodeLink wireless systems.here:
RODE Announces New Wireless Sytem and Two New Shotgun Mics

I would post it here, but this forum does not appear to support text tables.

Don Palomaki January 21st, 2015 05:45 PM

The 30 M vs. 100 M range is a major difference. Be interesting to see some real world tests.

Wonder how many can operate at the same time in the same venue, and how susceptible they are to interference from other near-by gear such as wireless routers.

Richard Crowley January 21st, 2015 06:28 PM

The technology used by the A-T and the Rode are likely very similar or identical. And the A-T appears to have better receive antennas. I would be very surprised if they didn't have effectively the same working range under similar conditions. I attribute the difference to be the corporate philosophy in spec-writing.

The A-T System-10 claims: "Up to eight systems may be used together without any frequency coordination problems or group selection issues." Although apparently at the expense of some of the "triple-redundancy".

Don Palomaki January 21st, 2015 06:42 PM

A ~3x difference in range implies a ~10x difference in combined power + antenna + receiver performance.

Richard Crowley January 21st, 2015 07:59 PM

Yes, if you believe there REALLY IS a 3x difference in range.
I do not.

Andrew Smith January 21st, 2015 09:01 PM

30 metres is more then enough for all my needs. 100 metres is pure bonus.

Andrew

Chris Harding January 21st, 2015 10:03 PM

Over here in Andrew and my land, the next best is the Sony systems which a close to $800 so this sounds like a great system! The connectors are not a big deal really ..it's just a standard 3.5mm jack socket with a threaded collar on it ..Azden have been using the plugs for years ... the jack plug goes in the usual way and it's threaded cap just screws into the socket ...just a simple way to stop the jack plug from being able to be accidentally removed.

Sony also make a wifi unit BUT it needs a smart hotshoe only on Sony cameras for the receiver. The transmitter from Sony is also way to big to be discretely hidden on talent!! It is cheap though at around $250

Looking forward to this being released ..our frequencies changed this month and I'm relunctant to replace what I already have and then face another change!!

Chris

Chris Harding January 21st, 2015 11:04 PM

Just a thought here... I was sorting out my spare gear and found my Bluetooth transmitter that I usually plug into the camera headphone output and that sends a BT signal to BT headphones so they are remote and I can wander around freely. I wonder if anyone makes something like this that would work much the same way but with a lav mic ... BT can run with multiple transmitters and still have a nice range.

Sorry..in my previous post the unit Sony makes is not WiFi but Bluetooth ... it seems to work quite well and again no stupid frequency changes. Is BT on a different frequency to WiFi???

Andrew Smith January 21st, 2015 11:28 PM

According to Wikipedia, Bluetooth also runs on the 2.4GHz range.

On a side note, those bluetooth motorcycle comms devices (aka walkie talkie things) are a cheap way to having comms between two camera operators.

Andrew