Need wireless system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need wireless system

Hi, i need a wireless audio system. If anyone can suggest such system or mixing and matching brands etc it would be mostnhelpful.

I wantbto be able to give an interviewer a wireless mic to interview others, so this mic would go to a receiver that would be connected to my cam. Most systems i have seen have a fairly big receiver and would need a power supply to run it in the field. Nowhere near ideal. I would also like to lav up some people and do same thing. So the bp units would be used, now, is there a system for around 500 dollars that has the hand held mic, a receiver (like a modem/router size) and a bp transmitter and receiver kit out there somewhere? I also at times would like to patch into the mic audio at an event l7ke a rodeo, drags etc and transmit that to my cam. Sooooo pissed off atm, i bought a videography setup and got 2x bp receivers and 2x bp transmitters worth about $1200 new and have to bin them because our frequency bands have changed and they are now illegal to use.mi wonder if i can sell them overseas?

Look forward to comments and ideas.......cheers

Gary
Gary A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Need wireless system

You will need to check your local vendors to sort out what systems/frequencies can operate in your region.
You may be able to sell them to another user if their frequency bands are OK to use on their region.

Read over past posts here to see what people are using, and like.

I've used low cost Azden VHF, Shure VHF (w/o body pack x-mitters), Sony UHF (before the frequency switch in the US), and Audio-Technica AT-1800 series UHF - and all have worked well for my purposes. The AT-1800 is probably the best and the Azden probably had the poorest sound. Except for the Shure system, all had small receivers that were usable with a camcorder and operated on common alkaline AA or 9V batteries. Sennheisers are popular, but I've not used them.

A lot will depend on the specific features and quality you need,
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Generally, a transmitter/receiver combination needs to be brand/model specific to operate properly, even if the frequency is the same, this applies to both the analog and digital systems. Unfortunately you can't get anything very good for $500. But I spose it depends on one's expectations of "good"..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Trustee

It has been the conventional wisdom for many years that the lowest-price "decent" wireless kit would cost US$500-650, typically the Sennheiser G3. However, that MAY be changing now that they are starting to use low-cost 2.4 GHz "wi-fi" technology for wireless mics.

Audio-Technica introduced their "System 10" last year, and just very recently added an on-camera, battery-operated receiver. I just got two systems and I am planning on making a "teardown" video to reveal the internal technology, as well as some REAL performance tests. Initial tests in my WiFi intensive office showed that it appears to work fine in the presence of lots of WiFi "competitors".

And the other potential issue, latency, subjectively appears to be a non-issue. I could not perceive ANY latency even though I was looking for it.

And Australian microphone manufacturer Rode will be introducing their RodeLink 2.4GHz wireless products here in the next few months. The RodeLink appears to use nearly the same technology as the AT System 10, although they do not appear to be inter-operable. Also TBD is whether they will co-exist together in the same venue, but I would be that they will behave themselves.

The street price for the AT System 10 is US$450 and the RodeLink is supposed to be US$400.

From what I have seen so far, this is a major breakthrough for affordable wireless audio gadgets. The spread-spectrum, frequency-hopping, 2.4 GHz technology is already ubiquitous in WiFi and BlueTooth protocols, so the supporting chipsets, etc.have become "jelly-bean" commodity components, and the prices of this new design reflects that economy.

Another benefit (although also potentially a curse) of using the 2.4 GHz ISM band is that it is already allocated for short-range, unlecensed communication anywhere on the planet. So producers who move around to different countries won't have to worry about whether their wireless kits are legal. And the manufacturers can make a single model for sale in all geographies, further decreasing the cost.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Wrangler

Kind of like Freeways. The price is right and the ride is good - until rush hour or in high population areas like LA.!
in contrast there are variable toll roads. The ride is almost always good, but the cost sure hurts!
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are many times this question has been asked. Search is your friend.

My answer is the Sennheiser G3 but it's out of your budget buying new. Some kits also provide a handheld transmitter but you have to turn off the body pack transmitter (lavaliere). If you want to transmit sound from a mixer, you need to adapt line level mixer output to your transmitter input that is usually mic level. The Sennys are good for all of this but $500 won't cover 2 pairs. If you go to three pairs, you need to add a field mixer assuming your camera only has two channels.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sennheiser's EW 112-p ENG Combo system, has a body pack transmitter and a plug-on transmitter which can be used with any XLR dynamic or self-powered condenser mic. For a H/H mic, I would recommend an EV RE-50, Sennheiser MD42 or 46. As Les stated, two transmitters can't be used at the same time with just one receiver. The other way around is possible though.. one transmitter and multiple receivers.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Gary

Although it hasn't been enforced yet, there are legally only two bands we can use .. 556-608 MHz and 638-698 Mhz Be very careful as a lot of suppliers are selling off the 700-800 Mhz systems still at el-cheapo prices so avoid them. Sony units UWP-D11 have the new frequencies but places are still listing the ones which are D12 and D16's with the old frequencies.

I have yet to read any reviews of Rode's new "non radio" system but it does solve the frequency changes as it's a WiFi system at 2.4GHz so that could be an option too?? Sony also make a Bluetooth system and both of these are at lower price points than the UHF systems .... I found a BT unit that is actually designed for musicians and has a transmitter and receiver (again on 2.4GHz) and gives you a cordless connection between your guitar and the amplifier with a range that should be good enough ...the send unit has a mic input and level control but you would have to mod the receive unit output as it has a 6.3mm male jack so that would have to be ripped out and rewired so you have an XLR cable for the camera. Whether it would actually be as good as a dedicated unit I have no idea but they are a mere $75.00 ..I just might buy one and see how it works ?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone, yes chris, i am aware of the bandplan changes as i have 2 transmitters and 2 receivers ready to go but in the 700 and 800 meg region. I thought the new changes came in in 2015, ie 1.1.2015. I hope not, i might be able to use these ones this weekend at a rodeo. Btw chris, do you know of any aus forums like this one? This is a fantastic forum and i am learning a lot but i am looking for lots of legal tips etc that apply to us and not the U.S. , great forum but......
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Oh yeah, i did stumble across 2.4 gig wireless system but havnt read too much about it yet.
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Gary

Shhhh!!! I'm still using my 800mhz kit at weddings and there is a guard band which seems to be un-used right at the top of the range so if you set your units right up near the top end you are unlikely to get any issues.

Being Government controlled it's probably still wrapped in red tape so I'm getting as much use out of the old units while I can.

Plenty Aussies on this forum especially in Victoria too!! If you look around the Sony forums here Chris Young is quite active amongst many others ... I posted a comment a few months ago on this very subject so do a search on this forum and you will find it along with more useful information!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Smith View Post
Hi, i need a wireless audio system. If anyone can suggest such system or mixing and matching brands etc it would be mostnhelpful.

I wantbto be able to give an interviewer a wireless mic to interview others, so this mic would go to a receiver that would be connected to my cam. Most systems i have seen have a fairly big receiver and would need a power supply to run it in the field. Nowhere near ideal. I would also like to lav up some people and do same thing. So the bp units would be used, now, is there a system for around 500 dollars that has the hand held mic, a receiver (like a modem/router size) and a bp transmitter and receiver kit out there somewhere? I also at times would like to patch into the mic audio at an event l7ke a rodeo, drags etc and transmit that to my cam. Sooooo pissed off atm, i bought a videography setup and got 2x bp receivers and 2x bp transmitters worth about $1200 new and have to bin them because our frequency bands have changed and they are now illegal to use.mi wonder if i can sell them overseas?

Look forward to comments and ideas.......cheers

Gary
ok. 1 microphone (handheld) , and 1 lavalier
you need 2 receivers (1 for the handheld and 1 for the lav)

polsen UHF handheld and polsen UHF lav system
ulw-16
the handheld is a transmitter
the lav must be connected to a transmitter (bodypack)
the camera gets 2 receivers (to be set at different channels)

they are fairly good UHF systems with only 16 channels:
CH. 1 584.400 MHz
CH. 2 587.500 MHz
CH. 3 589.575 MHz
CH. 4 591.050 MHz
CH. 5 593.425 MHz
CH. 6 595.200 MHz
CH. 7 598.450 MHz
CH. 8 599.650 MHz
CH. 9 601.275 MHz
CH. 10 603.775 MHz
CH. 11 605.500 MHz
CH. 12 606.750 MHz
CH. 13 586.025 MHz
CH. 14 590.525 MHz
CH. 15 594.150 MHz
CH. 16 602.450 MHz

the cost is $229 + $249

I have the handheld and it works even in NYC . The quality of the sound is good to very good.
Now the problem is that it only gives 16 frequencies (pre-set) . Nobody can be sure if they work before testing on the specific location. Plus the frequencies may be regulated by the stadium , so check with them and show the 16 frequencies that you have (listed below).
if you have 2 XLR inputs on your camera they will install on ch1 and ch2 separately (connect the two receivers to each XLR)

links
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966031-REG/polsen_ulw_16_hl_uhf_camera_mount_16_channel.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007208-REG/polsen_ulw_16_pl4_uhf_eng_wireless_system_16.html
about the 700MHz systems (now illegal in the U.S.) you can sell'em on ebay, stating the frequencies , to overseas buyers. Not sure about this but it couldl also be illegal to sell them in the US. But you clearly state the frequencies and you should be fine.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Excellent!! Thanks Anthony. Ill be looking into those units. Most of my recordings will be at small country towns probably no bigger than 20000 people so shouldnt be too much interference. I have a google earth map with major transmitter sites and frequencies listed for australia so i could check that before going on location. I have an enthusiast background in radio comms, have my ham radio ticket so luckily i know a bit about interference, harmonics, repeater inputs etc. Thanks again, sounds like a good start.
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #14
Wrangler

Audio-Technica and some others offer UHF systems with a dual channel receivers. While not cheap, it means only one receiver needed at the camcorder end for two mics transmitting.
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #15
Inner Circle

"Country towns... 20,000".....
>Country towns of P=20,000? That spells suburbia (aka, RF nightmare). None around here, at least not within 100 miles of mid-town (Manhattan) (that's not underwater), and I grew-up on a dairy farm in NYS's Hudson Valley region prior to seeking fame & fortune in 'the big city'
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio