Which mic to hang? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 12th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Which mic to hang?

Well....I ended up with an Octava on a stand on opposite sides to each other with the cardioid capsule. I had plenty of time to set levels in the morning. I couldn't actually monitor it during the show but I will make sure I can next time. I listened to it in its entirety today and to me it sounds pretty good. When the band and singers are at full loudness you can hear a little bit of hardness from the room acoustics occasionally. It could be mic colouration but I have nothing to compare it too but overall i,m calling it a success. Interestingly, the guy who runs the sound for theatre course came in to say hello. He had been in New York with a broken email so was unable to help me leading up to it but he actually suggested I could have hung the two mics which was my original plan sort of. He was basing that on my only having the two mics available. I had already set up and set levels and didn't have enough time to change. It would have avoided picking up the director talking as he decided to sit near the mic at one point so next time....
I had decided ahead of time that we weren't going to get a full video of the show because there were just too many issues that couldn't be resolved. That's what testing is for I suppose! My plan now is to choose one of the songs and have a montage of footage from the show behind it. Obviously I will have to avoid footage of people actually singing but there is plenty of footage to cover one song. The head of the course is very excited by the possibilities so hopefully I can deliver.
Ive got a lot of lessons to learn from it to take to the next one.
I want to thank again everybody who was so helpful with all their advice. Although I went round in circles a few times it definitely helped me to better understand what I was going to face.
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio