Best mic for indoor use - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Best mic for indoor use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
How many broadcast interviews on TV use booms? Very, very few. They pull out the lav pack, clip it on, turn on the thing and go! Rustles are usually just down to placement, and while wireless is never as good as a cable, the distances are usually very small, making them pretty good - and of course, you hear the noises and can reshoot.
How many broadcast interviews on TV use booms? Actually, the formal ones (60 Minutes, et.al.) probably most of them.

OTOH, how many broadcast TV reporters (or news-readers) use boom mics? None of them. Or how many chat shows (or late-night variety shows, etc.) use booms? It was back in the era of Johnny Carson that they still used those big Mole-Richardson microphone booms on their own little trolley.
Attached Thumbnails
Best mic for indoor use-158b-1-.jpg  
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quite a few of the sound recordists I've worked with put mics on a mic stand with a boom for interviews. This is an effective way of miking a sit down interview without the clothes rustling etc that can happen with tie clips. One recordist uses both boom and a tie clip and does a mix.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I also like the fixed boom and wired lav combo. Note that you don't necessarily need a lightweight mic like an AT4053b. You can use a big, heavy studio condenser if you have one on hand - and it can double as a voiceover mic.

Recorders generally have two inputs, so there's not much overhead. Redundancy is nice. If a cable or preamp goes bad, there are clothes rustles, or the talent moves around too much, it's nice to keep rolling, knowing that you have options.
Old February 7th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Trustee

Jody,

John just reminded me of my other setup. I have a Rode NT1A that I bought years ago for a large diaphragm VO mic. Then I learned how well it works on the end of my boom and started using it there indoors instead of the shotgun. It is worth taking a look at. It went out on me recently, this reminds me to send it in.

Steve

Wow, I did a Google search. Guitar center has a NT1A full kit on clearance for $229.99 list $369.99 That is a smoking deal.

Edit, it looks like they are $229.00 everywhere now, I am sure I paid more 8 years ago.
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Steven.

I actually do have a Rode NT2A that I have mounted in a custom-made VO booth. I assume it's the same type of mic as the NT1A.

I might have to pull it out of my booth and figure out how to mount it on my boom.

Cheers.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Yeah, the NT2A is a step up from the NT1A. The NT1A has slightly lower noise as its a simpler design. The NT2A has two condensers so you can choose multiple patterns. It's still very quiet.

Both mics offer a cardioid pattern, which is good but not perfect. It will work well in a dry space but a super or hyper cardioid is better in a lively space. The NT2000 would be especially nice as you can dial in its pattern.

One nice thing about already having a studio mic is that it might allow the budget to go towards a nice lav. :)
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #22
Trustee

Hey Jody,

If you already have the NT2 give it a try on a fixed boom. I use the same shock mount I use on the desktop stand for VOs. You might like it.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio