Tascam DR10X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 1st, 2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tascam DR10X

Hello, has anyone used one of these new audio recorders?
It attaches to a hand mic and records the audio to a micro SD. Basically a small digital audio recorder.
Any thoughts as to cons of this product apart from not being able to monitor it in real time.

Cheers.

Gary.

Last edited by Gary A. Smith; March 1st, 2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Gary A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tascam DR10X

Gary,

See comments in this thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...recorders.html
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

AFAIK, it does not offer Phantom Power, so boom use, would need a self-powered (or external PS) mic.
It looks like a plastic case, so would survive a drop to concrete? I like to have a few just the same.
The lavaliere mic DR-10C throughput models are not currently available in the US.
ZAXCOM, INC. v. TEAC AMERICA, INC.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Trustee

That's an interesting legal read.

It's too bad a license fee couldn't have been worked out for the lav mic to Tx pass-through models, the two brands' devices are intended for such dramatically different markets and price ranges.

Like 10X price difference and top of the line pro features versus regular everyday users... but I understand their point and desire to protect their patents.

I only wanted one to use with an orphan wireless lav element, I didn't even want to transmit the signal, just record it.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Trustee

Does somebody make a lav with a battery inside an extended XLR connector? Of course that starts to make your entire setup needlessly large and ungainly.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Yes I can buy a power supply for the lav element, and have done that for some of my orphaned AKG lavs when those frequencies became illegal. AKG had low-cost phantom adapters too, so that was an easy choice. If I could spend $150 or less for a recorder with the correct lav connector versus $100 for an XLR power supply I'd rather do that. I was excited when Tascam announced them.

If someone would make a totally in-line battery-powered XLR to XLR barrel phantom power device that would be handy to use with the DR-10X the OP is asking about. No boxes or cables, just a barrel.

I would probably just use a dynamic mic, or one of my ATM31a or ATM10 battery powered mics with the DR-10X recorder for interview style work. Or my K6/ME64 if it was positioned as a planted recorder.

The DR-10X does have a headphone jack, so you could monitor while recording. If I was at a distance, I would connect one of the Wi transmitters to the headphone output and monitor it from afar.

Hopefully someone will actually use one and report on it.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Trustee

More stupid lawyer tricks. The claim that a wireless transmitter and recording in the same device is somehow an "invention" is like Research In Motion claiming that they "invented" the idea of transmitting email wirelessly. Since the TEAC gadgets don't transmit, what exactly is the "infringement" here anyway?

The DR-10x appears to be for sale here;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086779-REG/tascam_dr_10x_dr_10cx_plug_on_micro_linear.html
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio