Lav mic- Upside down or Rightside up??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Lav mic- Upside down or Rightside up???

I've done some more tests and found that mounting a AT899 upside down had little impact on the sound to my ears. My old way of thinking that the receiving end should point up for best sound seems irrelevent.

I will definately be a part of the upside down crowd.

On another note, the AT899 is actually easier to attach to a person upside down using the standard lapel clip. The wire seems to be positioned in such a way that it is easier to wire up a human. Go figure!
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #17
Trustee

The AT899 standard clip and the rubber insert that grips the cable just below the capsule, is also easy to pivot to any angle needed depending on the clothing style that's worn.

The magnetic clip and the vampire clip included with the mic also allow rotation to any angle.

Very handy for sweaters, dresses or shirts that don't lend themselves to a traditional placement.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Jay. I've already poked a couple of holes in my fingers playing with the vampire clip, don't ask....

And the magnetic attachment thing, while interesting, I could see being a problem if it falls all the way down someone's wardrobe if you somehow remove the magnet part unexpectedly. I would definitely not mind retrieving it if it was attached to some super-model. Mostly doctors and professionals for me....

I see that there is a neck lanyard that you can connect to the steel plate, but pretty sure that would be more difficult to conceal than just using the tie clip method.

I am ordering a second AT899 soon since I will be working on a project where I need to switch out talent. So I thought I wire each up to their own lav and then the only thing I'd have to do is plug each one in, set levels and go.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio