Editing Audio - workflow, what processes to use and in what order? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Audio - workflow, what processes to use and in what order?

Hello,

I was wondering what is the traditional workflow for editing audio (cleanup, amplify, etc..), the process used as well as the best order:

Would you Normalize first, then noise reduction, then EQ, then amplify? I just don't know what the best procedure is.

Also if you have a track where the dialogue audio levels vary wildly, some quiet, some loud, what is the best process or processes to use that will result in a consistent audio level?
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Editing Audio - workflow, what processes to use and in what order?

After logging plenty of hours fixing audio, I purposed to get the audio as "right" as possible during acquisition. With decent capture, I do the following in a couple keystroke in FCP:
1) Select track
2) Normalize
3) Set Pan to 0
4) Repeat 1-3 for each track

After the above
A) I listen to each track and decide of removal of background noise is necessary
B) For each speaker, Freq as needed
C) Start cutting
D) Fix up soft spots based on what I actually use and scrub background noise if needed.
E) Add music bed and adjust to taste
F) Add camera motion for effect at key events in soundtrack (to taste)
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

FCP is really not adequate for audio work.
That said, it depends on the source material.. typically for dialog, I would first clean up the tracks (surgical editing and noise reduction); volume envelopes; broadband or multiband compression; EQ (includes HP/LP filters).
All of the above are on a 'as needed' basis
Notes:
- If an audio track is very low, I would first 'peak normalize' to bring up the overall level.
- Surgical edits are usually easier/better with dedicated audio editing software (Sound Forge or Wavelab for instance).
- A brick wall limiter is almost always put on the master buss followed by an ATSC or EBU LUFS meter for broadcast projects.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I struggle with even the most basics audio editing. When I film a musical or play I can't properly film while manually adjusting the audio levels. So I often leave it on the low side so as not to be clipped. But in post normalizing the entire track won't work because the audience applause will prevent the other sections from being raised. Which forces you to have to select all the in between sections which is time consuming affair.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio