Quieter alternative to a Tascam DR-44WL? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quieter alternative to a Tascam DR-44WL?

I recently bought the Tascam DR-44WL and am very disappointed with the noise from the pre-amps when using a Sony ECM 55B lapel mic to record voices. Feeding the mic into a Sound Devices MixPre, and line level into the Tascam, improves things but only to an 'almost acceptable level'. Tascam says that there is not a problem with the recorder and that this amount of noise expected. Perhaps I'm hoping for too much from non-studio equipment but I wonder whether anyone has had a similar experience and found cleaner sound from an alternative in a similar price range - possibly a Mirantz PMD 661 MkII or Zoom 5 or 6? Feeding the same mic into an ancient Soundcraft Folio Spirit mixer coupled to a Sony DAT Walkman (neither 'top end') gives much a cleaner background that the Tascam, but unfortunately both are on their last legs now.
Duncan Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Quieter alternative to a Tascam DR-44WL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Say View Post
I recently bought the Tascam DR-44WL and am very disappointed with the noise from the pre-amps when using a Sony ECM 55B lapel mic to record voices.
Increase the levels coming from the Sony, and decrease the levels the Tascam is using to record. You end up at the same place, but now the Sony is doing more of the work, and the Tascam preamps are doing less of the work, and therefore should be contributing less hiss.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Quieter alternative to a Tascam DR-44WL?

Assuming the recorder is set to (+4dB) line level via a good, properly wired XLR cable from the MixPre.. Did you calibrate the mixer>recorder with a test tone?
If you haven't done so already, remove the battery from the ECM-55's power supply and engage Phantom Power on the MixPre.

"Perhaps I'm hoping for too much from non-studio equipment"
> I'm not familiar with the DR-44, but I've used a 302> DR-40 combo and didn't experience noise issues.. though not specifically with a ECM-55 (which is a decent mic). I'll look at the Tascam DR-40/44 spec comparison for clues when I have time.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio