Audio improvement help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 12th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Audio improvement help

I am using the "Creative Cloud" subscription version of the Adobe applications.
I don't know which version of Audition you are using, but the basic functionality is the same.
Simply drag that "4" spot over to somewhere around 3600 Hz and down ~12dB
And the "H" spot over on the right end controls the low-pass (high-cut) filter as I described.
You can simple mouse-over and drag those filter spots around and hear what they sound like.

VST is a standard for using plug-ins from different vendors.
Apparently Adobe uses the VST standard even for its own built-in filters..
For the purposes of this discussion, it has no significance.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I am using the "Creative Cloud" subscription version of the Adobe applications.
I don't know which version of Audition you are using, but the basic functionality is the same.
Simply drag that "4" spot over to somewhere around 3600 Hz and down ~12dB
And the "H" spot over on the right end controls the low-pass (high-cut) filter as I described.
You can simple mouse-over and drag those filter spots around and hear what they sound like.

VST is a standard for using plug-ins from different vendors.
Apparently Adobe uses the VST standard even for its own built-in filters..
For the purposes of this discussion, it has no significance.
Hi Richard,

I also use the CC version of Adobe Audition and don't have the same parametric EQ but it doesn't matter.
I did what you suggested and it sounds very muffled to me. I listened on two different sets of headphones (Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and Sennheiser HD 800).
I think I need to add some frequencies back in now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afzzbx3z1t...d4_01.wav?dl=0
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I did what you suggested and it sounds very muffled to me. I listened on two different sets of headphones (Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and Sennheiser HD 800).
I think I need to add some frequencies back in now.
I was not RECOMMENDING the settings I mentioned. I was only demonstrating HOW to do it. Please remember that what YOU hear with YOUR monitoring system, and what YOU think sounds "OK" may be very different. So I STRONGLY encourage you to experiment for yourself. DO NOT use the same settings that I used! Work out your own. That is what I meant by "season to taste".

It is poor technique to remove something that you will subsequently restore in a subsequent step. It is guaranteed to inflict audible trauma to your track.

PLEASE do not post hour-long samples!!! 30-60 seconds of an appropriate section will be MORE than enough for anyone to hear what you are talking about.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #19
Equal Opportunity Offender

I've got RX4 Adbanced with a set of Event 2020 monitoring speakers.

I've done a couple of passes of broadband noise reduction and this in turn shows up the 'artificial fuzz' that I'm guessing is possibly the result of a low quality process that has been applied to your original file at some stage, possibly in the way you got it out of the recording gear.

I've tried some "dereverb" (aka echo removal) and a stiff application of this has really helped. There is still problems with the audio that remains. It's just not going to be the perfectly usable recording that you would want.

If you have the advanced version of RX4, you can grab the text file that I have uploaded, rename to a .xml extension type, and then import this in to Izotope RX4 and see what I mean.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you are going to be able to satisfactorily fix this one. You might want to have another crack at getting the audio off the recording equipment exactly as it was recorded in case this makes a difference.

Andrew
Attached Files
File Type: txt fuzz reduction.txt (831 Bytes, 227 views)
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #20
Trustee

Do you have a good recording of this same person?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
I was not RECOMMENDING the settings I mentioned. I was only demonstrating HOW to do it. Please remember that what YOU hear with YOUR monitoring system, and what YOU think sounds "OK" may be very different. So I STRONGLY encourage you to experiment for yourself. DO NOT use the same settings that I used! Work out your own. That is what I meant by "season to taste".

It is poor technique to remove something that you will subsequently restore in a subsequent step. It is guaranteed to inflict audible trauma to your track.

PLEASE do not post hour-long samples!!! 30-60 seconds of an appropriate section will be MORE than enough for anyone to hear what you are talking about.
Ooops sorry, I thought these were the settings you used and got good results.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I've got RX4 Adbanced with a set of Event 2020 monitoring speakers.

I've done a couple of passes of broadband noise reduction and this in turn shows up the 'artificial fuzz' that I'm guessing is possibly the result of a low quality process that has been applied to your original file at some stage, possibly in the way you got it out of the recording gear.

I've tried some "dereverb" (aka echo removal) and a stiff application of this has really helped. There is still problems with the audio that remains. It's just not going to be the perfectly usable recording that you would want.

If you have the advanced version of RX4, you can grab the text file that I have uploaded, rename to a .xml extension type, and then import this in to Izotope RX4 and see what I mean.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you are going to be able to satisfactorily fix this one. You might want to have another crack at getting the audio off the recording equipment exactly as it was recorded in case this makes a difference.

Andrew
Unfortunately, I do not have the advanced version of RX. This is how the track sounds. It has nothing to do how I got it off the recording equipment. I know it won't sound great but I want to make the set out of it.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Do you have a good recording of this same person?
Hi Gary,

No, I don't, unfortunately. I could get it if it's helpful.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #24

Quote:
I could get it if it's helpful.
I for one would be making a beeline for getting the good copy of the recording.

Why are we otherwise doing all this messing around here???

Andrew
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
I for one would be making a beeline for getting the good copy of the recording. Why are we otherwise doing all this messing around here???
Andrew, did you not get a chance to hear the original samples? The original recording is "down in the mud" with a bad noise-floor. Two passes with iZotope did a miraculous job of getting rid of most of the noise. However the very poor tonal balance is a different matter.

There is no "good copy of the recording". Unless you are implying that they re-record the whole thing?

The poor tonal balance could be significantly improved by judicious use of a parametric equalizer and I was trying to show how to do it. However it does seem pretty resistant to getting decent balance out of it.
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #26

I thought she was indicating that there was a better quality of the audio that she could go and get. We might need to wait for clarification from her on that one.

Andrew
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I thought she was indicating that there was a better quality of the audio that she could go and get. We might need to wait for clarification from her on that one.
I thought Gary asked if I had any voice recording of this person. I thought he wanted to compare it or something like that. I don't have a second recording of the interview and I can't redo it
Old June 17th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #28

Ahh. I see.

All the best with making the most of what you have.

Andrew
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I thought Gary asked if I had any voice recording of this person. {snip} I don't have a second recording of the interview and I can't redo it
I (Greg, not Gary) understand that this is the only recording of this interview. I want to know whether you have any other good recording of this same person's voice.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
I (Greg, not Gary) understand that this is the only recording of this interview. I want to know whether you have any other good recording of this same person's voice.
Sorry GREG. I do not have any other recording of the person but I can get it. Should it be from the same location?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio