DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   using lectrosonics smb transmitter with a sennheiser ew100 g2 receiver (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/528664-using-lectrosonics-smb-transmitter-sennheiser-ew100-g2-receiver.html)

David Aliperti June 6th, 2015 01:13 PM

using lectrosonics smb transmitter with a sennheiser ew100 g2 receiver

I know it might sound as a crazy question but since i found a very good deal about a used lectro transmitter smb, and was wondering if may be used with ew100 g2 evolution receiver. anyone has a similar experience?

Rick Reineke June 6th, 2015 01:49 PM

Re: using lectrosonics smb transmitter with a sennheiser ew100 g2 receiver

Won't work, for a number of reasons.. even if the frequency can be set the same on both xmitter & recvr..

Bruce Watson June 6th, 2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1888605)
I know it might sound as a crazy question but since i found a very good deal about a used lectro transmitter smb, and was wondering if may be used with ew100 g2 evolution receiver. anyone has a similar experience?

It is a crazy question. The two don't talk the same language; they can't communicate. Ain't no happ'nin's.

Karl Winkler June 9th, 2015 09:42 AM

Quote:

Many Lectrosonics transmitters CAN do different modes to be compatible with other receivers. The US models, for instance, can be put into 200 Series mode (older analog Lectrosonics), IFB, Sennheiser 3000/5000 (HiDyn Plus) and older Shure (pre-UHF-R). We have heard reports that for G2/G3 compatibility, users find that Mode 6 (Shure UHF) works well.

However, the EU units the the SMb you asked about only have two modes: 400 Series (Hybrid) Lectrosonics, and IFB. The reason for this is that each different modulation scheme requires a different certification and thus becomes prohibitively expensive. Thus, the SMb has no good way to "talk" to an EW 100 Series receiver.

John Willett June 9th, 2015 11:10 AM

To work with a Sennheiser ew receiver the Lectro will have to transmit Sennheiser HDX noise reduction - if it can't do this it's not compatible, so don't do it.

Richard Crowley June 9th, 2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

I know it might sound as a crazy question but since i found a very good deal about a used lectro transmitter smb, ...

Consider the excellent possibility that a "very good deal" on just a transmitter (vs. the whole TX/RX kit) has a strong aroma of a piece of stolen gear. In your country are there any lists of stolen gear serial numbers? I would consider contacting the official dealer(s) to see who they sold the serial number to.

John Willett June 10th, 2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1888881)
Consider the excellent possibility that a "very good deal" on just a transmitter (vs. the whole TX/RX kit) has a strong aroma of a piece of stolen gear. In your country are there any lists of stolen gear serial numbers? I would consider contacting the official dealer(s) to see who they sold the serial number to.

Yes - very much so.

9 times out of 10 a s/h transmitter, sold on it's own, is likely to be stolen.

Rick Reineke June 10th, 2015 10:47 AM

BTW.. for those new to this forum.. Karl W. is one of the principles at Lectrorsonics.. and has moved up/down in rank since the esteemed president (humorist) Larry Fisher... 'retired' .. (both are highly regarded IMO)

David Aliperti June 12th, 2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1888881)

it is in USA on trewaudio.

Rick Reineke June 12th, 2015 02:04 PM

Trew Audio's reputation is stellar.
Just the same, the combo won't work.

David Aliperti March 9th, 2018 08:42 AM

hi everybody, sorry to exhume this thread, but I don't understand all these clarifications on the about the oddity of buying a single transmitter or receivers considering that eBay is full of it and even trew audio has some.

Richard Crowley March 10th, 2018 11:00 PM

Buying something like that from an official (and/or reputable) vendor is NOT AT ALL the same thing as buying it on Ebay. Especially if the seller cannot (or will not) reveal the serial number so that you can check it against stolen goods. Why does that seem unusual to you?

David Peterson March 12th, 2018 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1941992)
hi everybody, sorry to exhume this thread, but I don't understand all these clarifications on the about the oddity of buying a single transmitter or receivers considering that eBay is full of it and even trew audio has some.

Mixing Lectro with G3 is the less than great idea.

But buying individual TX/RX Lectros from eBay to match up later, sure, why not? I do it all the time, you don't need to always buy them in pairs.

Pete Cofrancesco March 12th, 2018 10:24 AM

wireless audio isn’t the area you want to be fooling around with. If your work justifies the cost of Letro then buy a new kit. What you’re are trying to do runs counter of the point of owning a Letro. It’s akin to buying an old luxury car with a million miles so you have the bragging rights to owning a high end brand.

Paul R Johnson March 12th, 2018 11:35 AM

The key factors in mix and match success relate to things like bandwidth, companding ratio, noise reduction, pilot tones, and now programming (as often units program each other via RF or IR)

In practice, you can try them and see what they sound like. if you like it, you use them. However, often the results are just not pleasant to listen to, or there is distortion on the speech peaks, or excessive noise, or most common - no sound at all!

Some combinations, as I think I've mentioned before, work quite well. Sennheiser microphones with Trantec receivers work rather nicely - with a hint of compression, but the other way around the commanding ratio works against you, and live, feedback is never far away, and once it goes, it really goes. Shure and Sennheiser often suffer from intermod interference that is only OK with a very wide gap between their frequencies, and trying Sennheiser with some Chinese kit failed miserably - chronic distortion.

In all seriousness, if you buy separate bits, buy from the same manufacturer, and generation/model ranges.