This looks interesting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 18th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Major Player

This looks interesting...

Instamic - The Smart, Small, GoPro of Microphones

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...ophones#/story
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: This looks interesting...

Very interesting indeed!

By the look of what they have raised, everyone seems to agree.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Very interesting indeed!

By the look of what they have raised, everyone seems to agree.
Certainly not everyone. I'm not going to be giving them money. But I will watch and see what the early adopters have to say, or not say, about it when they finally ship something. Honestly I don't have my hopes up.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

I'd be looking forward to learning about the quality of the recordings, but not the hard way.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #5
Trustee

I can see the law suits being prepared now and I doubt if this will be such a simplistic solution as stated in the video as you still need to have proper placement and adhere to the laws of physics.

Why not make it look like a microphone and I doubt if just clipping this on a source will produce the results in the demo video. There will still be the need to monitor what you are recording as you may just end up with nothing or un-useable audio.

Good luck to them but I see lots of pages on the forums regarding the poor audio that is being attained from the DSLR / rode videomic generation.
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The clever bit is the electronics - and like gopro, it fills a gap. The wedding people will love it - they are eternally complaining about getting microphones to places where even a zoom is too big. If the electronics work, and the battery lasts long enough, it's a winner. Microphone wise, electrets even of the very, very cheap type are surprisingly good - sure, not perfect, but look at how many theatre people use £30 chinese headsets on amateurs who destroy DPAs? The difference in quality is surprisingly small, and not a stellar difference. Most complaints are not about audio, but mechanical quality.

Purists may hate these, but they really will be a problem solver!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Like the other POS budget recorders aimed at OMB operations.. 'water seeks it's own level' Myself and other production sound mixer colleagues will still be in demand.. for near future anyway.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Trustee

It reminds me a bit of the Sansa Clip, with all the features that Sansa forgot to include.

Or of the earlier Archos Ondio, which preceeded the Clip by at least five years, and had more features, but lower bitrate and worse audio.

So if Archos and Sandisk could pull this off (with the technology available at the respective time) then this seems entirely within reach, at least from a technical perspective. (However, I think 2GB is not nearly enough internal RAM. It should be at least 4GB to allow for recording of a long concert or other event.)

A bigger question is market size. Both the Ondio and the Clip were marketed as consumer MP3 players with audio recording as a secondary feature (along with FM tuner, etc.). Thus they had a huge potential customer base. If this new product is marketed as a semi-pro audio recorder, will there be enough prospective buyers to "make the numbers work" and make a profit after paying for all the development costs?

Last edited by Greg Miller; June 21st, 2015 at 08:07 AM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio