Need helkp with this if possible please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 20th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need helkp with this if possible please

Can someone have a go at removing the noise in this clip please or refer me to something that will? I shot a football match with a small handycam and when i got home most of it was like this clip. Not sure if it's fixable but they won their grand final and would like 20 odd DVD's. GOD HELP ME.
Attached Files
File Type: mov Wind.mov (584.5 KB, 167 views)
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Need helkp with this if possible please

There isn't really anything in that clip but overwhelming noise. If you use your imagination, you think you might hear someone yelling in the distant background. I regret to say that is the worst sound track I have ever heard. I don't think it is repairable.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you have something like adobe audition you could remove some of the low frequency rumble using it's spectral display which would make it sound less overpowering, I think they wouldn't mind to get it like this if teh images are good and if they don't have to pay for it :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Smith View Post
they won their grand final and would like 20 odd DVD's.
With audiio like that, they will be DAMNED odd. You will never remove all the buffeting.

You could always do something like this, but IMHO it sounds worse than cellphone audio. I can hear people yelling, but for the life of me I can't understand a single word.

BTW, since this is audio we're talking about, you'll note that my attachment is an audio format (.wav), not a video format (.mov). Just a minor detail.
Attached Files
File Type: wav WindNoise-01-processed.wav (384.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: wav WindNoise-01-processed-more.wav (384.0 KB, 95 views)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Major Player

If Richard thinks this is the worst audio he has heard, he's definately never heard some of my earliest attempts at audio.

Wind noise I'm guessing. You could kind of fake it, get and use some decent foley of a game and then do some sort of voice over and turn it into a story, FWIW.

Good luck.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I played with it a while in Izotope. As has been said, it's beyond repair, I'm afraid. Sounds sort of like seagulls at the beach on a stormy day.

I don't see any option except as Jonathan suggested, replace the audio track altogether - there are probably crowd noise clips available if you wanted to go that way, but, much as it pains me to say it, maybe it would be better without audio altogether.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It's just very straightforward wind noise, all you can do is remove the low frequencies in any audio programme. There also may be a graphic equaliser in your video editing programme..

If you record something similar again outside in wind, you must have a wind muffler or at least keep your back to the wind. The only other possibility as someone else has suggested is replacing the audio track. It sound like it might be a kids football game so you could always make an audio recording of another match and drop the sound in.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone, Yes i do have another match that was recorded on a calm day, i had a temp piece of foam stuck over the mic holes on the cam body but must have came off somehow. I might just replace it all with the other match and remove all the "play on" comments from umpire and any kicking noises and just have crowd noise but will have to add car toots and yells at goal cicks. Or do a highlights disc and charge half or less per disc. Lesson learnt. BTW, i picked the worst of the worst part of audio to post. I sent .mov as i thought mp3 would be an option or ogg or something! Although the selection i sent wasn't that big i thought wav might make it a bit big. Is there a tutorial somewhere for removing wind noise in Audacity that anyone knows of? i have searched for it everywhere but can't find anything. Even if i can remove most of the "not so bad" parts of the match it will help. I just need a ballpark to start with and the more i do it the better i will remember how. I need to learn audio properly so i know HOW to attack these things but, as everyone goes through a learning curve, i'm starting to progress deeper into mine. I NOW have 20k worth of used video gear including a Panasonic AF100 and Panasonic AG-HPX372en with shotguns and dead cat. NO MORE WIND FOR ME. Thanks again everyone, I shall improvise with different methods and hopefully be asked to do it again next time.
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Major Player

You can have the Mercedes Benz of every piece of your gear and still end up with crappy audio. I don't know your experience level so I'll highly recommed reading everything you can about good audio hygene. Even when you do that, theres no guarentee,

Start with the Jay Rose book on producing great audio for film and video. And lots of great info from forum members here who will always know more about this than me.

Shitty audio is really hard to fix without sacraficing something else!

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Sorry, misread your post. I have noted the book mentioned, thank you. I usually read as much as possible on the net and watch video froom youtube to linda.com and other sources. Yes, i have read and do read plenty here. It's a fantastic place for info and a great recourse when needed. Just had a quick fiddle with Audition and seemed to work in a fashon so back at it.....
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I honestly would not replace the sound with one from another match, it will just sound incredibly fake and people will notice that. I"m sure if you just remove the low frequency rumble no one will mind, they just want to see the match and hear the matching cheering in the background, even with the windnoise.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Mics are basically air pressure sensors. Blustery wind is basically rapidly changing air pressure. So mics are very very good at "hearing" wind. Much better at it than the human ear which comes standard with a highly capable signal processor (the brain) attached. People are remarkably good at hearing what they want to hear and not hearing what they don't want to hear (like wind).

Blow softly across the end of a mic and your ears won't hear much of anything while you're blowing, but the mics will register a huge sound.

The function of the various mic covers is to isolate the mic from the "macro" air pressure variations so it can hear the "micro" pressure variations we want to record.

From an audio viewpoint, blowing wind sucks!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Trustee

Gary,

How do you feel about the two samples I attached, several posts above? Do you think they're acceptable for your given situation? If not, can you describe why not?

Last edited by Greg Miller; June 24th, 2015 at 04:46 AM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:47 PM   #14
Trustee

Headphones. You don't need $20k worth of gear, you need those $1 headphones they sell at gas stations. If you'd been wearing headphones (if you wear headphones next time) you could have heard it and fixed it while it was happening. As I tell the students... you know the old saying, good, cheap, fast, pick any two? Not true. Headphones. Good. Cheap. Fast. All three.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

How was i meant to fix it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio