New Zoom F8 - Page 3 at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 11th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #31
Re: New Zoom F8

Where's the beef? Looks beefy.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
I just found this:

It looks like Zoom is going to a higher level of pro gear. If it is pro quality? This is ENG styled instead of DSLR style and has some features I wish were on my H6. But for three times the price I'm not sure I would have chosen it if it was available two months ago when I got the H6.

With the higher price I wonder if they improved the quality of the pre amps? That is what really matters.

If some one buys one I hope they will post about it when they ship.

Having had my hands on it, I'd have to say the controls are too small to do any real mixing. It's sort of like the mini-me version of a SD or Zax box. If that doesn't matter to you, fine.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #33

With the current firmware, the F8's front knobs are gain/trim for channel/tracks. It does have a software mixer for the outputs, but it's not very good for mixing on the fly... ok for a static mix though. I haven't tried the phone/pad wireless interface. And I suspect the zipper artifact would be audible on sustained material.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #34
Major Player

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
There was a scheduling change (and a delay of new product.. my LI USA Zoom contact stated 'it's not built in the same place, or by the same entity/folks that build the other Zoom products' (crap), so I only had the one for a few days and never actually used it on set. I was impressed by the solid build/feel of it, multiple/mixable outputs, ect. The file naming architecture could cause problems for a PSM. It seems a bit complicated and overkill for a OMB shooter. The preamps are of 'questionable' quality.
If the preamps are of questionable quality then solid build or not doesn't matter.
Wild Tiger Productions
Sabyasachi Patra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio