New Zoom F8 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 4th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: New Zoom F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Link to Zoom F8 user manual in English. Not that I'm trying to tempt anyone...
Thanks Colin and always good to read the manual before you buy.
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Trustee

Guy,

Like many other guys here I have a lot of interest in this device. But for those of us that can not test drive one the big question remains "how good are the preamps?".

Today's technology and even firmware enables manufacturers to make products feature rich. But features do not account for quality performance. Making high quality preamps costs money. We all know what sound devices preamp quality is and that is the big reason they are worth a kings ransom.

I want to know if Zoom produced a pro level product with the F8 or if, as someone else on this thread (who I respect) said "it will be a nice device with ten POS preamps". So lets not even try to compare it to Sound Devices, for a thousand bucks I don't expect that. But lets a take a Zoom H6 for example. It has POS preamps with audible noise at the setting of 5 and 7 is a desperate move as the noise ramps up quickly. Is the F8 just another prosummer Zoom device in that category or did they make a big improvement in the preamps?

A test recording where you ramp them up would be great if that is possible? Even your opinion on the difference will help.

I see you are a DVI sponsor. I appreciate that and try to support sponsors because otherwise this great forum would not exist!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Trustee

Well I listened to the demo and the various mic's being tested, I could not hear much noise and that is a pretty quiet studio!
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
...the G3 sounds pretty good with the ME2 too and to me fuller than the Lectro. ;0)
Guy was surprised by that too, but I assured him it was only due to my amazing voice.
Jason Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Is the F8 just another prosummer Zoom device in that category or did they make a big improvement in the preamps?

A test recording where you ramp them up would be great if that is possible? Even your opinion on the difference will help.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Hi, Steve: I'm obviously not Guy, but I was in on the test and have some experience with the Zoom H6, as well as recording VO's with Sound Devices recorders. Unfortunately, we no longer have the test F8 and won't have stock in until late this month. I'm happy to do another test and post it when we get one in.

That being said, to my ears, the Zoom F8 preamps sound very close to those of the Sound Devices 633 I have sitting here on my desk. I'm not a professional sound guy, but I have been a video producer for over 15 years. I hope this is helpful in some degree.
Old October 6th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #21
Trustee

Jason,

I have a ME2. The next time I need it to sound that good I will ether hire you for the VO or ask you who did the sweetening to make a ME2 sound that good! Mine never does.

Seriously though, under controlled circumstances in a quiet studio you can make almost any preamp sound good. In the real world I need to ask my preamps to provide some power once in a while. That's why I keep wondering if you can drive these?

Steve
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #22
Inner Circle

"I have a ME2. The next time I need it to sound that good I will ether hire you for the VO or ask you who did the sweetening to make a ME2 sound that good! Mine never does"

- If you can make a POS ME2 sound 'good', "You're a better man than I am Gunga Din!"
(exceptions may vary though)
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #23
Trustee

Jason,

Your post and mine above hit at the same time. If the preamps on the Zoom F8 sound even close to your SD 633 that would be incredible. That would make this an amazing field recorder.

Rick,

I knew you would chime in about the ME2. But that was the non serious part of my post. Like I said, my ME2 is a POS. What do you think about the preamps being "almost as good as a SD 633"?

Steve
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Jason,

I have a ME2. The next time I need it to sound that good I will ether hire you for the VO or ask you who did the sweetening to make a ME2 sound that good! Mine never does.

Steve
For the record, all the audio in that video is untouched, straight from the recorder, with the exception of a slight level boost to the DPA 4018 track.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #25
Inner Circle

BTW, a NYC dealer has sent me a F8 to use on a 20 day indie feature film shoot (King Cobra), staring Christian Bale & James Franco) [ you did not hear it from me]. I will report my findings as time permits. Naturally, I will record in tandem with my SD 744.. but I will need more tracks in some scenes.. the F8 will be recording concurrency.. TC and otherwise.. Naturally, my boom op/mic will still be the key.
Don't expect any YT reviews.
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #26
Trustee

Would never expect a YT review from you for anything. As long as you can give us your opinion here it will be worth a million bucks, OK a thousand dollars. I will look forward to your input considering your glowing support of Zoom so far ;-) ;-) ;-) Gunga Din!

Steve

Rick, Do you know James Wirth? I hired him and his crew three times for some of my NYC gigs. It has been a while, I think the last time was in 2007. We rented a studio in the theater district and created a talk show type set. Peter Salvo MD of PBS was the host but it was a totally commercial shoot. James is a great guy and it was a professional production working with him every time I hired him.
Old October 7th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
BTW, a NYC dealer has sent me a F8 to use on a 20 day indie feature film shoot (King Cobra), staring Christian Bale & James Franco) [ you did not hear it from me]. I will report my findings as time permits. Naturally, I will record in tandem with my SD 744.. but I will need more tracks in some scenes.. the F8 will be recording concurrency.. TC and otherwise.. Naturally, my boom op/mic will still be the key.
Don't expect any YT reviews.
I look forward to reading about you practical experiences as you are a top man.

P.S I have two ME2 mic's with my G2 systems and have always found them to be fine, I wonder if some people have duds or different models?
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #28
Trustee

Hey Rick,

How are you getting along with the F8? When you have time I would like to hear your thoughts.

Steve
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #29
Inner Circle

There was a scheduling change (and a delay of new product.. my LI USA Zoom contact stated 'it's not built in the same place, or by the same entity/folks that build the other Zoom products' (crap), so I only had the one for a few days and never actually used it on set. I was impressed by the solid build/feel of it, multiple/mixable outputs, ect. The file naming architecture could cause problems for a PSM. It seems a bit complicated and overkill for a OMB shooter. The preamps are of 'questionable' quality.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #30
Trustee

Thanks for the F8 update Rick. Did you see the quote below when I posted it above? Just curious. NY is a big city, but it is a small industry we work in.

Quote:
Rick, Do you know James Wirth? I hired him and his crew three times for some of my NYC gigs. It has been a while, I think the last time was in 2007. We rented a studio in the theater district and created a talk show type set. Peter Salvo MD of PBS was the host but it was a totally commercial shoot. James is a great guy and it was a pleasure working with him every time I hired him.
Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio