Connecting JBL LSR305 to M-Audio??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:15 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Connecting JBL LSR305 to M-Audio???

Speakers arrived today. All hooked up, and yes, they are really nice!!!!

The only problem is that they are SO good, I can now hear every little (to my ears) imperfection of my audio work. I guess that's a good problem though.

When I selected the M-Audio for audio out, it disables the Mac Pro's audio setting. I have the speakers set to 7 and volume on the M-Audio is good at 9 o'clock, a quarter way up.

What kept me from doing this long ago is that I always thought decent monitors were hundreds of dollars each, which I imagine they can be, but for less than $300.00US for the pair, these are remarkable.

Thanks Richard, and to everyone for your input.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Trustee

Hi Jonathan,

Glad to hear your happy with it. Now, about that sub? You can hook it up if you want to but you will need to be careful how and when you use it. Never forget the part about not wanting to “color” your sound on editing monitors. I have nine speakers hooked up to my editing rig, one of them is a sub. The majority of the time editing is done with one stereo pair. They are all there for a variety of reasons.

First check the sub and see what kind of input it has. Some cheap computer speakers get funky there. Then you will need to put a mixer in line after the M-Audio that can output to the JBLs AND the sub and control them independently. If that interests you let us know and we can go farther???

Also, I hope you did not put the JBLs up against a wall. That is an active bass port on the back of them.

Steve
Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Steve.

I've decided to not use the sub after hearing these speakers. They just sound better than my old Logitech that even had the subwoofer!

I have found a good home for the old speakers; a graphic designer friend who has given me lots of time on a giant video project I'm working on.

The only other thing that is a little frightening about the JBL's is the fact that there is no front protection for the drivers. I'll have to be real careful with coffee, pens, and other piercing objects...

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio