Urgent Help: Advice Recording a Choir (16 Members) in a Cathedral 9 Second Echo - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: Urgent Help: Advice Recording a Choir (16 Members) in a Cathedral 9 Second Echo

Thanks much - congratulations!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #107
Inner Circle

Re: Urgent Help: Advice Recording a Choir (16 Members) in a Cathedral 9 Second Echo

Yes, congratulations on a successful production! Best of luck with the edit and the final result!
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #108
Major Player

Thanks everyone. I got all the footage loaded last night. Three solid angles and the GoPro with a few mistakes with how I framed it. Should be pretty cool... Just need to wait for the mix! :)

Looking forward to posting it, and thanks very much again!!!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:55 AM   #109
Inner Circle

did the mics get in the way much?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:42 AM   #110
Major Player

We had the two main mics in shot in the middle, but they kinda looked epic. I liked them there tbh. Then because the AX100 was centre and shooting over the conductor, I didn't have any mics in the shot. Following this, I had the low camera for interest on a slider - but some of the mics stands blocked faces on this shot. Then the GH4 to the right had a couple of faces missing due to the mics in the middle - but I couldn't really get my tripod any higher and still operate it. I think if I were able to get onto a higher platform, it would have looked better, but then I wouldn't have been able to check on it either...

I look forward to hearing people's comments for this reason though, as I may be pleased with something that you dislike, and then I can learn more from that...
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #111
Trustee

Congratulations Craig! You say there is already things you would do different..... I have been doing this well over twenty years. I do not think I have EVER done a multi cam shoot when I did not see something in post I could have done better. Learning is a never ending process. I have worked with guys that think they know it all, I am not one of them.

I am looking forward to seeing the film.

Steve
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #112
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Living in a part of the country without decent roads was always my excuse for not renting, and in my forty year career, avoided it in the main, WASTING huge amounts of money. I've lost count of the kit I bought for one off projects that I'm now storing and sits around unused. I could hire it out but am reluctant. My accountant says I'm mad. Audio and video gear just sitting around, some of it now ancient. I thought I had a betacam sitting around somewhere, and found two! I remember buying it second hand for a single project, then putting it on a shelf in the store. I used a portable production unit for some shows in 2005 and that hasn't been touched since then, a bargain Vinten camera crane it's huge and mega heavy. I do not want to sell it, because one day a project will appear that I can use it for. I am stupid. This need to buy rather than hire has cost me dearly over the years , but I still do it. I'm looking at a flight case with two very weird LED fixtures I bought for a project in April. They're useless for general use, and I have no idea why I didn't just hire some in.

I think it's just a cultural thing, the need to collect interesting kit. Hire is sensible, and cost effective, but just not 'yours'. Totally daft!
This made me laugh because it is exactly what I do. I have a room we call my AV bone yard because I never get rid of old gear. My audio guy is also a friend of mine. Unfortunately he moved out of state last month. He told me he was thinking about video recording some of the bands he does audio for just for fun. We went to my bone yard and I found an old Canon XL1 and a Sony Hi-8 camcorder. I gave them both to him and said go have fun. I never sell old stuff because I hate the hit you take on it. I read about some guys on this forum that wheel and deal gear on e-bay so often it is like their local grocery store. I just cant do it!

Steve

Steve
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #113
Inner Circle

The one place where I have "wheeled and dealed" is lenses. I started off with, well, the wrong lens for my needs. I then got a Nikon lens to EF mount adapter and had an extended loan of some old Nikon primes. I then sold my wrong lens and got a series of Canon EF primes. From there, I sold something like six standard primes and upgraded to three L lenses. Now that I have my "keepers", I've slowed down. Except that Canon now seems to be releasing superior updates to my Ls. Hmmm...

Mics are a different story. Like lenses, they hold their value, but I tend to keep what I have. Electronics lose value so sharply that the buy-sell model doesn't work nearly as well.

But back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the choir and learning more about the story...
Old September 12th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #114
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Congratulations Craig! You say there is already things you would do different..... I have been doing this well over twenty years. I do not think I have EVER done a multi cam shoot when I did not see something in post I could have done better. Learning is a never ending process. I have worked with guys that think they know it all, I am not one of them.

I am looking forward to seeing the film.

Steve
Thanks Steve! The mix is nearing completion for the audio engineer, so hopefully I'll be able to get to work on it next week. Although I'm busy, I'll try my best to get it all done and finished in the next week or two!

Cheers Steve!
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #115
Major Player

A special thank you to everyone who was able to help me. I am extremely lucky to have found this board, and extremely pleased to be able to share what I hope will be a reasonably well-received recording of a live song. The audio engineer did a great job (from what I can tell) with the mix, and most things that I was hoping would work out reasonably well, did. However, there are a few things that I found frustrating. E.g. one of the sides of the hall was yellow to a point of being out of sync with the overall feel / colour. Therefore, I've toned down the yellow and added blue, but I think this shows a little too much in one of the shots - much better than how it was though. Also, I didn't realise the extent to how wide the GoPro would be, even with a person being directly in front of it... so there's an unfortunate 'selfie' of me in the film as well; but I felt that the shots were too important to leave out, as the piece is to showcase the client's talents as a conductor.

Hope you all think it's worthy:

Thanks again!

Craig

P.s. The second song will follow at the weekend.
Old September 16th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #116
Major Player

Great job. They should be very proud of their production.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #117
Inner Circle

Very nice job - congratulations!

By the way, do you know what mics were used? Reverb works very very well - makes it feel natural for the surrounfings
Old September 17th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #118
Major Player

Nicely done! Good on ya.

And you weren't kidding about the long trail in that hall. But I'm sorta doubting the 9 seconds. I'm thinking the T60 time is more like 5-6 seconds. Still very long, but more manageable.

Interesting how your audio guy decided he needed to be quite close, in front of the director. And low. But... he was right. All you have to do is listen to it.

So... what are the details on the micing? I think I can tell by looking and listening, but it's always nice to know for sure.

You should be a happy guy, and your client should be equally happy. If they wanted a promo that shows what they can do, they surely got it.

(And I did like the ceiling shot ;-)
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Yeah - the reverb doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as I would have thought. On the other hand looking at the interior space it's clear that they knew what they were doing acoustically re materials and structural details when they designed the space.
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #120
Inner Circle

Impressive on many fronts. In a way, a more tricky space with the very flat and open floor - so probably why the low mic position worked well as the audio guy also recognised the benefit of M/S by the looks of it, to give a bit of after recording adjustment. The piece was ideal for the space.

How did the actual recordings go? How many takes and problems?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio