Extension Cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 19th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Extension Cable

I am using the Rode Videomic mounted on a homemade boom pole for a production I am shooting next week. I have everything in place except for an extension cable.

I will be shooting on a GL2. I am a newbie, and have yet to win the lottery, so budget is tight. I see Rode offers a 10' extension cable. Should I order it or can I find something similar at Radio Shack?

I know the cable sheilding is important so I am asking you guys, the people I trust. Is it worth it for the XLR adapter if I am using the Rode for now?
John Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Unger
I am using the Rode Videomic mounted on a homemade boom pole for a production I am shooting next week. I have everything in place except for an extension cable.

I will be shooting on a GL2. I am a newbie, and have yet to win the lottery, so budget is tight. I see Rode offers a 10' extension cable. Should I order it or can I find something similar at Radio Shack?

I know the cable sheilding is important so I am asking you guys, the people I trust. Is it worth it for the XLR adapter if I am using the Rode for now?
Using an XLR cable and XLR adapters at each end won't make any difference. An XLR is simply a type of connector that is often used at one or both ends of a cable in a balanced line. The advantages to such a cable stem from the fact that it is used in an electrically balanced circuit, not from the fact it uses XLR connectors per se. In fact, XLR doesn't guarantee the circuit is balanced and there are other connectors (TRS, Lemo, etc) that can be used in circuits that ARE balanced. Your camera's input is an unbalanced input and the Rode mic is an unbalanced output. Even if you were to use a balanced cable with XLR connectors and adapters, the fact that it is unbalanced at both ends (actually this is true if it's unbalanced at either end) means that the whole system is unabalanced and any advantages you might otherwise have are cancelled out. So save your money and get a simple 1/8 inch stereo extension cable from Radio Snak such as you might use for a headphone extension. RS usually has a couple of different quality levels and go for the top one if there's a choice, it'll probably have better shielding.
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Unger

get the Rode.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio