Identifying offending noise by using spectral frequency display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 9th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Identifying offending noise by using spectral frequency display

Hi,

I have a recording where there is a bang happening during the interview. I'm trying to remove it using Izotope RX but I'm having a hard time isolating the offending sound. Here is a screenshot of the spectral frequency display and I'm attaching that section of the audio that has that bang sound. Can someone tell me where on the spectral frequency display that sound is? Do you think it's possible to remove this sound? I have this banging happening in 3 sections of the recording. It would be nice to be able to remove it

THANK YOU!
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying offending noise by using spectral frequency display-bang.png  
Attached Files
File Type: wav Bang.wav (235.7 KB, 99 views)
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Identifying offending noise by using spectral frequency display

The bang overlaps speech on a spectrogram here, so it's not easy to get rid of it. You'll need to use Deconstruct instead of Spectral Repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying offending noise by using spectral frequency display-bangrx.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: wav BangRX.wav (77.3 KB, 99 views)
Alexey Lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kathy

Do you have a bit longer clip so we could get a better idea of the pre and post "bang" content - maybe 10 - 15 seconds or so?
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Hi Kathy

Do you have a bit longer clip so we could get a better idea of the pre and post "bang" content - maybe 10 - 15 seconds or so?
Hi Jim,

Here is the file with more content. Is this enough?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Bang2.wav (783.6 KB, 110 views)
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Lukin View Post
The bang overlaps speech on a spectrogram here, so it's not easy to get rid of it. You'll need to use Deconstruct instead of Spectral Repair.
Thanks Alexey, I don't seem to have Deconstruct in my version of RX, is it part of the Advanced version?
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #6
New Boot

Yes, it's Advanced-only.
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it's Advanced-only.
:(

Thank you for your help though. May I ask how do you actually know that that's where the bang is on the spectrogram?
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM   #8
New Boot

I have listened to a few selections in your file. My first suspicion was the vertical line before my selection, but it turned out to be letter 'k'. Finally I have arrived at the correct selection.

When you have experience with audio, you can estimate the frequency content of any sound. In your case, it's a noise burst at lows and mids. And it has a considerable decay, due to reverberation.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I have can listened to a few selections in your file. My first suspicion was the vertical line before my selection, but it turned out to be a letter 'k'. Finally I have arrived at the correct selection.

When you have experience with audio, you can estimate the frequency content of any sound. In your case, it's a noise burst and lows and mids. And it has a considerable decay, due to reverberation.
Thank you. I also thought it was the vertical line but when I isolated it I learned it wasn't it. Thank you
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Major Player

I downloaded the trial of the Advanced version of RX. I won't be able to save it anyway but I thought I would try to see what I could possible achieve but I'm not able to get a good result either. Makes me think it's not possible to remove this. I wish I could at least lessen it. Anyone has any other ideas?
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Can you select the speech harmonics in Izotope? That's the procedure in SpectralLayers.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #12
Trustee

A quick and dirty try with noise reduction in (freeware) Audacity makes some improvement, imperfect but less noticeable. The sound seems to mostly fall between "the" and "com" and between "com" and "part" and by taking small slices of the intervening space and doing a 6 to 12 db reduction on those samples (three) you can get what might pass as a momentary blip that most people would disregard, rather than a burst of hiss that does stand out. Then, applying the sample to the "com" phrase removes some of the underlying hiss without destroying the vocal.
Also reducing the pause after "-mentalization" takes care of the rest. You do it in pieces, a little at a time....

Fortunately this sound falls largely in a pause in the narration, making the reduction samples possible. Now, if the sound is the same in the other places, it might be possible to use the samples from the first situation and apply them (one at a time, obviously) to the others, hopefully then reducing the sound and not affecting the speech too much. (If the second and third sounds overlap the speech, you'd not want to sample there because the speech would be part of the reduction sample.)
Attached Files
File Type: wav bump noise.wav (526.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 11th, 2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: uploaded wrong file; extended description
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Can you select the speech harmonics in Izotope? That's the procedure in SpectralLayers.
I don't think so. At least I don't know how
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
A quick and dirty try with noise reduction in (freeware) Audacity makes some improvement, imperfect but less noticeable. The sound seems to mostly fall between "the" and "com" and between "com" and "part" and by taking small slices of the intervening space and doing a 6 to 12 db reduction on those samples (three) you can get what might pass as a momentary blip that most people would disregard, rather than a burst of hiss that does stand out. Then, applying the sample to the "com" phrase removes some of the underlying hiss without destroying the vocal.
Also reducing the pause after "-mentalization" takes care of the rest. You do it in pieces, a little at a time....

Fortunately this sound falls largely in a pause in the narration, making the reduction samples possible. Now, if the sound is the same in the other places, it might be possible to use the samples from the first situation and apply them (one at a time, obviously) to the others, hopefully then reducing the sound and not affecting the speech too much. (If the second and third sounds overlap the speech, you'd not want to sample there because the speech would be part of the reduction sample.)
Thanks, I did the same thing you described but in Izotope Rx and managed to make it less noticeable.
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Here's what I came up with just for the record
Attached Files
File Type: wav My bang.wav (783.6 KB, 95 views)
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio