DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   6 XLR mixer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/531262-6-xlr-mixer.html)

Darryn Carroll February 27th, 2016 12:18 PM

6 XLR mixer?

Anyone know of a 6 channel XLR input mixer that's not GIANT or crazy money? This is for recording audio at depositions, I must use wire lavs, be XLR (I am told they don't 'like" adapters) and capable of 6 inputs. Needs to be reasonable size for the table.

Battle Vaughan February 27th, 2016 01:38 PM

Re: 6 XLR mixer?

Here's one possibility: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1118985-REG/soundcraft_spirit_5049551_signature_10_mixer_w_effects.html
Mackie, Behringer, Yamaha and others have similar units. Behringer has a 4 channel one that runs off 9 volt batteries, commonly these units need ac power.

Rick Reineke February 27th, 2016 04:07 PM

The venerable Mackie 1402-VLZ, 6 mic/line inputs + 4 stereo line inputs. They are very rugged and have been around since the mid 1990s, currently the forth generation of the series. Many in/out options, the Alt 3/4 outs are good for mix-minus feeds, ect., as are the two pre/post fader aux. sends.

Brian P. Reynolds February 27th, 2016 04:18 PM

What is the recorder?
Are you dual recording?
What are the input connections of the recorders?
Some of the newer digital consoles have a direct USB recorder built in (Allen Heath QU16 / 24/32)
Do you need slider faders or would Knobs be ok?
What about a touch surface like some of the mackie desks?
Do you actually need to 'Mix' or would isolated record tracks be better?
What about direct recording to PC or Mac?
Zoom F8?

Jay Massengill February 28th, 2016 07:20 AM

I agree with Rick on the Mackie 1402-VLZ. I have had 3 of them since the late 1990's and use them all still with no problems, often on the same job for different physically separated functions.

One thing to keep in mind, while it is slightly larger and heavier than some other brands of mixer with this number of inputs, it uses an actual standard AC power cord that plugs directly into the mixer.
The others mostly use a unique line-lump power adapter, which makes packing, setting up, misplacing or damaging it more of a concern.

Also accessories like specifically sized carrying cases for that exact model are more readily available.

I have some other brands that have even greater routing functionality than the 1402, but I never transport them around because it's a pain.

Greg Smith February 28th, 2016 05:18 PM

Another vote for the Mackie. Solid, simple, classic, no-nonsense industry standard, with audio quality and routing options that are way more than adequate for your application. Spare parts, cases and other accessories are readily available.

- Greg

Tom Sheats March 3rd, 2016 04:15 PM

I do depositions and definitely need six XLR inputs. I currently use an Allen & Heath ZED14. It's pretty bulky (I put my equipment on an AV cart) and has bells and whistles I'll never use, but does a good job for me. It cost me about $400.

When I started out 20 years ago, I had a Shure M367, which was very popular among legal videographers. It was not as bulky as the ones I and other posters have mentioned. It's long been discontinued. I don't know if there are any refurbished models available or if you would even want to consider one.

Rick Reineke March 4th, 2016 10:46 AM

There's probably lots of M367s around When I was recording the audio legal seminars, I encountered them frequently in hotel ballrooms and such. lots of 267s as well. As I recall, neither had adjustable pre-amp gain, EQ or any routing options.
For your amusement, I still have a dinosaur M67 lying around from the dark ages. I had replaced the (line level) binding posts with an XLR, a variable pad and a ground lift.

Gary Nattrass March 4th, 2016 10:50 AM

I still have an M367 that I picked up on USA e-bay for $150 and it is still a very good 6 channel basic mixer with a limiter.

Two on this site : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_od...+M367&_sacat=0

Jay Massengill March 4th, 2016 02:45 PM

I still have an M267, that I cut the non-removable AC Power Cord out of. Runs quietly on 3x 9V internal batteries. Times were simpler then. Maybe that's why Shure named their phantom power switches and mic power voltage nameplates "Simplex Power" on these old devices. Mine has the binding posts also, but I never modified those.

Rick Reineke March 4th, 2016 05:34 PM

I never used it on external pwr., but the M67 has 30 volt + / - blade terminals... bizarre. Yes I recall the "Simplex Power", but never used it or investigated the particulars. (volts/config) I'll probably give the M67 to the broadcast museum here in NY.
Sorry to get more off-topic.

Jay Massengill March 4th, 2016 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Simplex was the same as Phantom, although on some of their products the voltage varied, just a marketing name I guess. The M267 manual says 30 volts Simplex, but some of the early SM87 mics I still have from that time say SX12-48VDC on the imprint on the back of the mic (opposite the name plate side), so they could handle up to standard 48V Phantom. I've run them as low as 18 volts from an AKG battery supply and they sounded fine.

Hopefully the OP can tell us what he's decided to buy and bring us back out of the past.

Bruce Watson March 4th, 2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Carroll (Post 1909887)
Anyone know of a 6 channel XLR input mixer that's not GIANT or crazy money? This is for recording audio at depositions, I must use wire lavs, be XLR (I am told they don't 'like" adapters) and capable of 6 inputs. Needs to be reasonable size for the table.

No one has mentioned the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673541-REG/Tascam_DR_680_DR_680_8_Track_Portable_Field.html. Not the newer mkii version, the original DR-680. Six micpres, XLRs, and phantom power available at all six.

Greg Miller March 4th, 2016 10:59 PM

Wow, the price has really come down on those! I feel the urge to spend a few bucks.

I wonder how the preamps compare with a DR-70 ... or with an H6 for that matter. Can anyone compare & comment?

Denis Danatzko March 5th, 2016 03:46 PM

I've used a Shure M367 for deps. Keep in mind it's only a mixer, not a recorder. I'm considering getting a Zoom F8; it's both an 8-input mixer and 8-track recorder, and the benefit over plain mixers is that each track can be played back and isolated to the degree allowed by the pick-up pattern of the mics used.
Over the years, I've had only one case where isolating each attorney to their own track would have been helpful for playback. Unfortunately, the Shure didn't allow that. Granted, it's rare when that isolation is needed, but it's impressive when it is and you can provide it.
Last I looked, B&H had the F8 it listed for $ 999.